Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spigola

Van Staal question

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

The Spig may finally be biting the bullet. I am considering a VS150 to put onto my Lami 1081L. I am closer to 70 than 60 years of age and thinking of treating myself to a final great real to last me the rest of my life. I may go new or used depending on what I can find out there.

Real scoop please and only respond if you are a Van Staal 150 owner. I don't want any third person opinions because opinions are like a-holes, everyone has one.

Just how much do you like the 150 and how highly do you rate it? :confused:

Thanks in advance for your input. I think I may have finally lost my mind. :scared::wee:

I own 3 of them for 6 or 7 years. 150, 200 and 250...Each trip I like them more and more...If you have the $$$, go for it...You will also enjoy the self service...Evey year I look forward for the winter for some fun as a "mechanic"...just be very careful buying a used reel from a person you don't know..

I own 3 of them for 6 or 7 years. 150, 200 and 250...Each trip I like them more and more...If you have the $$$, go for it...You will also enjoy the self service...Evey year I look forward for the winter for some fun as a "mechanic"...just be very careful buying a used reel from a person you don't know..

Thanks Lev. I am going to have to sell off a bunch of plugs and other stuff to help raise the $$ but I am hoping it will be worth it. Spig :wave:

Thanks Lev. I am going to have to sell off a bunch of plugs and other stuff to help raise the $$ but I am hoping it will be worth it. Spig :wave:

Good idea, all we really need is AVA and SS needles...:D

I have 2 a 150 and a 275 I love them my 150 is on a 9 custom Lami esp fishing the last few weeks here fishing the bars I love the worry free fishing that cones with a vs. No sand is gonna end my day short due to a tackle failure.

i have had mine now for 2 years and i can say that this reel is a tank, god only knows how many times i have dunked this reel and dropped it in the sand and just rinsed it off in the surf and kept fishing, havent done any maintenance to it yet but thats only because i go by the "if its not broke dont try to fix it", other than that it was the smartest thing i have done, now if i can just catch more fish, hope this helps, larry

VS150 - It's lighter than the lightest ZB, dunkable, and holds a ton of line. I've used it more this fall than ever before and appreciate it when fishing out on the bars. Rather than drag a fish a long ways to dry land, just stick the reel in the water, release, and off you go again. Line lay sucks is my only complaint.

Spig, I may hit the big 70 before you. I have two 150s, one on a lami 1081l, the other on a SSU 108M. Both are a real pleasure to throw and the reel is as strong as can be, no problems. Line lay not an issue, center load the line when first loading reel. No, problems. No, you are not losing your mind, finding it maybe. Please look for mine.

Hi Spigs, I own 2 150's, one bailess and one bailed. Neither have ever failed me.

I do own other size Vs's, but the 150 can handle any fish you will ever encounter

from the surf. I noticed the line lay sucks when I spool the reel myself, but when

it is done from a good tackle shop with the machine I dont get the hourglass

effect like alot of guys complain about. I have never felt the hourglass line

lay effected casting distance anyway.

Treat yourself to this reel, you'll love it. The bailed versions seem to be a

little smoother, but I love both styles. Just so ya know, I never service them.

lolololololol well I do but not every year.

i had one on a gsb 108m and loved it till i kept breaking it, but i got it fixed and it worked fine till i sold it. i think i was a little rough on it but hey its a reel. i think that would be a good setup for u as it is very light setup.

Hi Spigs, I own 2 150's, one bailess and one bailed. Neither have ever failed me.

I do own other size Vs's, but the 150 can handle any fish you will ever encounter

from the surf. I noticed the line lay sucks when I spool the reel myself, but when

it is done from a good tackle shop with the machine I dont get the hourglass

effect like alot of guys complain about. I have never felt the hourglass line

lay effected casting distance anyway.

Treat yourself to this reel, you'll love it. The bailed versions seem to be a

little smoother, but I love both styles. Just so ya know, I never service them.

lolololololol well I do but not every year.

Very true...

Get the 150 with the bailed knob and Get ready to fall in love. The bigger knob makes the reel feel more capable. I sold my 150 to expiriment with a Stella 5000. I just sold my Stella and now I'm in the market for another 150. The line lay doesn't affect casting distance but if it bothers you, you can profile the spool a couple of times during the season. Get the reel you won't be sorry.

Spigola by all means treat yourself to a 150 bailed, I have owned one for the last 4yrs. and it has never let me down. This past spring we had bluefish in the 12 to 16lb, range for 2wks. straight and my VS150 bailed was right there for 14 days bailing them out in the morning & at night! I have 30lb. test powerpro on mine NUFF SAID!!

Carlos

I have both the VSB 150 and the Stella 5000. I would take the Stella any day. Its smoother, lighter and doesn't have a problem winding the line level. The VS handle bushings leave something to be desired also.

My Vs will probably be on the BST in the near future.