Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
albacized

Aflicted with diseases or conditions that come with a stigma...LOL

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

So I'm told by my physician yesterday I have a fatty liver and starts asking me about alcohol abuse. The actually truth of the matter is that I don't drink at all at this time and back when I did - more than 10 years ago, I was just an occasional social drinker (averaged drinking less than 1 day a month) and only got 'pisser' drunk 3 times in my life (all in my late teens/early twenties back in the 1980's)...Since I study this stuff and know that alcoholism isn't the only underlying cause to a fatty liver, should I tell this joker to go pound sand?

Btw - this fatty liver thing isn't serious condition right now in it's own right...but if I don't change my diet, it can lead to diabetes or even cirrhosis of the liver...so future consequences are possible

Weird that AIDS is celebrated, it should come with a huge stigma. 

Even children who got it from their parents? Even people who received a blood transfusion? Or a woman who got the disease from her cheating husband, or by being forcibly raped?

:confused:

Even children who got it from their parents? Even people who received a blood transfusion? Or a woman who got the disease from her cheating husband, or by being forcibly raped?

It's true that nowadays, it's not a 'gay' disease - however, there's no doubt that initially, it is the homosexual group who were first inflicted here in the US...although admittedly, given that aids can be transmitted just as easily through heterosexual sex, it may have been a bad luck of the draw that the homosexual group were first to have this

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Mad Deckhand View Post

confused.gif

Nope, but the overwhelming numbers got it by choice. 

Nice try. 

It's true that nowadays, it's not a 'gay' disease - however, there's no doubt that initially, it is the homosexual group who were first inflicted here in the US...although admittedly, given that aids can be transmitted just as easily through heterosexual sex, it may have been a bad luck of the draw that the homosexual group were first to have this

Fishing was slow on Fire Island back in the 70's ...

2 - 3 years ago I was at the doctors for Lymes ... Another patient was in the waiting room. They put me in an examination room and it was absolutely impossible to not hear the doctor talking to that other patient in the next room. The walls were paper thin. It was as if I was sitting there when the patient was told that he was HIV position. He was married.

Nope, but the overwhelming numbers got it by choice. 

Nice try. 

Nice try? A poster on a fishing website believes that aids is a punishment for gay people and that they deserve scorn and shame, even if they aren't gay?

Cool. I'll help spread the word.

Nice try? A poster on a fishing website believes that aids is a punishment for gay people and that they deserve scorn and shame, even if they aren't gay?

Cool. I'll help spread the word.

I understand the 'by choice' part - even if I think 'by choice' is a little strong...if you chose to live a certain lifestyle (and I'm not just speaking of homosexuality, since I doubt it's a mere choice), you're not so much 'chosing' to get aids per se'...however, if you decide to disregard advise as to how to play it safe and you get the disease, who's fault is that? And I understand there are cases where adults got it via rape, etc or it was passed to unborn children (ie not their fault or choice)...however, more cases than not occur from transmission during consentual sex (homosexual and permiscuous heterosexual alike) and sharing needles for drug use

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Mad Deckhand View Post

A poster on a fishing website believes that aids is a punishment for gay people and that they deserve scorn and shame, even if they aren't gay?

Interesting position you have there.