Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
godzilla

Caught my first tagged bass

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Just mailed tag and their downloadable report to Littoral Society. Stoked to get history of fish. Is it preferred to cut tag off and mail in, or just write down #, and send him off for further travels?

Just mailed tag and their downloadable report to Littoral Society. Stoked to get history of fish. Is it preferred to cut tag off and mail in, or just write down #, and send him off for further travels?

It's fine to send the tag in, you can do it either way. They know most guys are not going to have a pen and pad on them while fishing, but thats not a bad idea at all for the future ,if your lucky enough to catch another. A released fish is always a good thing, and i bet you would here no argument from the fish.;);):th::th:

Is it preferred to cut tag off and mail in, or just write down #, and send him off for further travels?

If you plan to release the fish it is preferred when possible to leave the tag in place and just write down the number/info. This extends the life of the tag and adds at least one additional data point associated to this fish. If the fish is harvested then the tag should be removed and sent back.

Good luck.

I have been a tagger with ALS for over 10 years and have had many returns during that time in fact caught one om my own tagged fish at Sandy Hook /bay side several years ago.You will receive a letter from them with info on when and where and by who the fish was tagged as well as it's measurements along with a patch.

Sorry to bore those of you who have heard this before. I was contacted by the ALS about one of the tags that had been sent in. It looked like one of mine, but the info I had on my cards didn't jive with what the submitter said he caught. Under better magnification it turned out to be a different number and it all matched up. So the moral of this story is, it is best to send in the tag so if it needs better cleaning or magnification the crew at ALS can do it.

I thank you for sending it in, while I am no longer waiting for number fifty, let me assure you every return is important to me. Of course if if is someones first return it is a thrill that they are waiting for.

Thanks Again

Peace

I would say just pull the tag out no matter what...usually those tags are full of gunk and difficult to read when they're not attached to the fish. Imagine how hard it is to read a tag while its still attached and your fish is basically suffocating to death as you try to decipher just so ALS can get another data point. :rolleyes: