Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
robc22

Lobstermen and U-boats.........

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Well now, You may have seen the story of old man Figueiredo's lobster trap tag washing up in Ireland but here's are real mystery from that fishin' family's history............

During the world wars many commercial fishermen like farmers were considered essential to the war effort and were exempt from military service. After all, they harvested food and protein that helped power the allied war effort........

For the reason mentioned above,commercial fishing boats were a favourite target of german u-boats. Back in that day most fishing boats did not carry any wireless gear and this made them very easy targets........

Around the British isles and too a much lesser extent off north america the germans would seize the fishing boat, murder the crew and toss their bodies into a fish hold and then scuttle the fishing boat and that would be that. No fuss, no mess, no trace. Nobody would ever see the boat or the men that sailed her again.

My buddy Rich Figueiredo has always wondered if that is what happened to his great grandaddy and great uncle on a cold december day in 1944. They just disappeared.....never to be seen again....no bodies, no debris, no nothing...........

My son in laws grandfather had a tern schooner sunk by a u boat 300 miles off the coast during ww1. They were allowed to get in a dory before sinking.

They made land fall in less than seventy two hours rowing around the clock,taking turns.Some lucky,,that time.

Lost at least four ships in his sailing career that I,ve heard of

My son in laws grandfather had a tern schooner sunk by a u boat 300 miles off the coast during ww1. They were allowed to get in a dory before sinking.

They made land fall in less than seventy two hours rowing around the clock,taking turns.Some lucky,,that time.

Lost at least four ships in his sailing career that I,ve heard of

The germans really keyed in on fishing boats in ww1........but they were honorable in allowing the crew of the fishing boat to take to a dory or raft before the Germans destroyed the fishing boat............In ww2, The Nazi's weren't always as compassionate..........

http://www.naval-history.net/WW1LossesBrFV1914-16.htm