Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jim B

Copolymer Lines: Which One is the Best?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I started using Copolymer lines on my older Penns, when I started to Kayak Fish about 6 years ago. I've pretty much been using P-Line CX and really can't complain about the stuff; it's been abrasion resistant and knot has been good. Is there any lines out there that I should consider?

Im using P-Line now but I really really like Gamma as well. I think I may be going back to Gamma actually. And I have tried a bunch of the different P-Lines, half of which I hated.

All were only used in freshwater though

I've used P-Line Flouroclear, Gamma, and Silver Thread Excalibur. All are excellent. Best for the $$ spent is going to be the Silver Thread. I think the Gamma and Silver Thread Excalibur are no longer in production but still not too hard to find.

Gamma is so damn good. I was always the PLine CXX copolymer line but once I spooled my Penn 706 with 17# gama I never went back. What I loved about the line is when spooled tight and say you unspool the line its not coiled up it stays straight. Not a stiff line by any means, subtle and smooth. Its some good stuff.

Sufix Tri is hard to beat.  Just picked up a spool of Berkely prospec to try.

Buy 20lb test,diameter is the same as 17 suffix tri,a touch smaller... Very abrassion resistant,ties better knots than the chartruese suffix tri,cast great and packs good on the spool .. Tried it this season because I always used the gold suffix tri and loved the stuff,but they stopped making it.... Pro spec passed the test and then some.. Never tried p line,but did try gamma.. It casted well,tied good knots,but not as abrassion resistant.. jmo..

Stren used to make "Easy Cast" a great copolymar but I have not seen it for some time.  I always us Cajun Advantage...The best for knot strength I have ever tried.  I have used Pline too but for the price...the Cajun Advantage is the way to go.

Sportsman's Guide has it cheap and free shipping right now--- use coupon code"sh1493" if interested. At least for now anyway.