Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hillsmom

Refinish for Danish Modern Teak Furniture

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

We have a mid-century solid teak drop-leaf dining table designed by Peter Hvidt.  It has what seems to be an oiled finish of some type.  Over the years, it has become stained, and I would like to re-finish it myself.  Any suggestions on what to use? 

I don't want a high gloss finish.  I think (this goes way back as my DH made some Finn Juhl copies, himself) he used Watco Danish Oil finish...?  There are probably newer and better things available now.  Any information greatly appreciated.  Thanks

confused.gif   There have to be some woodworkers here when not fishing...

well it sortta depends on what types of stains you are trying to remove ..

but a danish oil finish is probably

what was on it .

so personally i'd use that .

to remove the stains ...generally speaking ; you are probably going to have to sand then out ..and that means sanding the whole table top .

well it sortta depends on what types of stains you are trying to remove ..

but a danish oil finish is probably

what was on it .

so personally i'd use that .

to remove the stains ...generally speaking ; you are probably going to have to sand then out ..and that means sanding the whole table top .

Is there any value to that table? It would be a shame to sand it and ruin the value.

If it is teak, you might be better off with teak oil.

Heed Rav's advice, if it is indeed valuable, it will be less so if refinished.

:v:

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedracer View Post

Be careful. Lots of Danish style furniture is made with high quality plywood and sanding it is not an option.

Oh no, it's all solid teak and of some value, but we are still using it.  Our son is "salivating" over it and will eventually get it.  It's a beautiful piece has some stains from liquid, etc.  I think using very fine steel wool and then using an oil finish will help, plus I intend to do the whole top.  The legs seem a bit dry, too. 

Is teak oil the same as the rosewood oil we got from Dansk in Downingtown? confused.gif

If it doesn't say TEAK OIL, it most likely isn't. Teak and other tropical hardwoods contain resins that are not compatible all finishes. IMHO, teak oil is the safest bet, you don't want to have to this twice.

YMMV,

:v

@ Gadwall:  Thanks you are probably right.  I did mean Dane Decor, not Dansk, in Downingtown.  I may speak to them.  I'm pretty sure that I'd have to use mineral spirits of some kind to prep the surface, too.    icon25.gif  Maybe it's going to be more than I want to undertake...sigh.

Little update...  We got a small bottle of Teak oil from Dane Decor.  When it's empty, you take the bottle back and they will refill it for free.  Also got a good bit of information from their website about caring for (indoor) teak furniture.

Thanks to all for the information given.