Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Celloman2639

Batson Rainshadow

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I have 3 or 4 and like them a lot. You should post this in the Rodbuilding forum after you do a search there. There is a huge amount of info in that forum from builders who fish their rods and have built on the SW, SU and SUR blanks. good stuff there.

In my humble opinion, the Batson blanks are, generally speaking, just as good as what you get from more well-known brands like St. Croix and Lamiglas. The Batson blanks are cheaper because they're manufactured in Asia; St. Croix and Lami are more expensive because they are, with a few exceptions, manufactured in the USA. Some people love the price, and don't care where the blanks are made; some people hate Asian products, and the "Made in the USA" label is more important to them than the price.

If you get past the politics of it, though, the Batson lineup is top shelf, performance-wise. I doubt you'll be disappointed if you try one.

I had a surf spin rod made on the 1208 blank (sw I think) made with standard fuji guide layout (50 stripper). I think it's a fantastic rod for the money and it's very versitile. I picked it up to complement my lami 132-1m's. It's great for the 1/2 to 3 oz stuff a good alaround plugging stick..

I have an SW1087 It's a great bomber and sluggo rod. a little too stiff for pencils. If fish it mostly at night. Mine is a few years old when they were still made in the USA. Anyway I broke it on a cast totally my fault. I spoke to Bob Batson through a post in the rod builders forum. He used to lurk there. He said to give him a call and he replaced the blank free of charge, only charged me for shipping which was $20. Good customer service Nice Blanks

fantastic value and comparable quality to other big name brands. the 4 or 5 I've built are among my favorite rods, and at half (or less) the cost of a lami,etc. blank....

They also make some blanks with flex profile/length/power combinations that you can't find anywhere else - try to find a St. croix or lami comparable to their sw1089 for instance.

and they still sell nice, simple, cheap-as-all-hell glass blanks to keep weirdos like me happy :freak:

As good a plugging stick as the others. I had a 1087 and it was a favorite except I had the wrong grips (for me) on it. Had a cork fore grip and a rough textured rubber wrap on the rear which I never liked and sold it because of that. Its made its rounds, I think Fishingnuke is about the 4th or 5th owner. Anyway, nice stick.

I agree with all the above comments, as a matter of fact i know more than a few who prefer Batson to the others. It should be noted however, that with the surf blanks, they are not as lightweight as the Legend ,Mojo's, and some of the Supersurf's but if weight is not a factor you can't go wrong, and they are tough to beat for the money. They are also split 50/50 not 70/30

I also am a fan of rainshadow blanks. Reasonable cost,good quality and good value for your money,has allowed me to build several sticks for different situations instead of a 'One size fits all' type of outfit.

I use a sws70L...SW967...SW1087...SW1088...SW1208, each one has performed flawlessly in it's given application.

I had a 1207 sw. Great rod that I caught a bunch on. One night while throwing a 1oz needle it broke 10" from tip. I called Baston and assured me no prob with replacement. I waited two weeks, no blank. I called Cal and now there was a problem. I had sent broken tip area and they saw no problem with it. No problem? It's broken. Many calls later they aggred to send me new blank for $60. They had to ship which cost $90( no dealer returns) not my fault. I wrapped rod and use it because it throws nice and can really "kill" a fish. Because of run around I would never buy another.