Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bob_G

Big Shrimpin'. Is it my imagination, or.......

Rate this topic

59 posts in this topic

i watched a few minutes worth waiting for the game.. my favorite were the subtites, and the narrator had to have a southern accent too?

garbage. about the only amusing part was when that dude had to troubleshoot is boot

They are laughing all the way to the bank.

(Psst...come here.....lemmee tell you a secret........its tv...........its pretend)

My wife (and son sometimes) likes to watch the "survivor" BS. All a plottin' and a plannin' in the dark in hushed tones like it's some big f'n secret. (with a camera crew just a few feet away) As if most of them could survive a night away from mommy.

Also "america's fattest humans" or whatever it's called.

Sheesh!

I'm goin' in the other room to watch the game.

Those shrimpers in real life work their asses off, and they are a crusty lot, but not necessarily a bunch of dimwits.

jrhjr: Those shrimpers in real life work their asses off, and they are a crusty lot, but not necessarily a bunch of dimwits.

Agree.

Not every shrimper is a Forrest Gump.

From Wikipedia:

Forrest Gump is a 1986 novel by Winston Groom. The title character experiences adventures ranging from shrimp boating and ping pong championships to thinking about his childhood love. The Vietnam War and college football are all part of the story. Throughout his life, Gump views the world simply and truthfully. Throughout the course of the book, he really doesn't know what he wants to do in life. Author and narrator Groom uses intonations that capture Gump's personality. Gump is full of wisdom, but is considered an "idiot" because of his low IQ and disability. According to him, he "can think things pretty good", but when he tries "sayin or writin them, it kinda come out like Jello". He is also physically strong and falls into amazing adventures.

These boys might be able to catch some shrimp, but they're certainly not going to be writing a thesis on the habits of shrimp. For that to happen, they need to be able to write and read. Some of them boys are just plain "country" to put it nicely. They sure can catch some shrimp when they get into 'em though. Still, probably the dumbest show I've seen a while, especially compared to Swamp people. Even the coonasses down there can speak English pretty well, even the Guist brothers. I will admit, Troy's pop is a little hard to understand sometimes.

These boys might be able to catch some shrimp, but they're certainly not going to be writing a thesis on the habits of shrimp. For that to happen, they need to be able to write and read. Some of them boys are just plain "country" to put it nicely. They sure can catch some shrimp when they get into 'em though. Still, probably the dumbest show I've seen a while, especially compared to Swamp people. Even the coonasses down there can speak English pretty well, even the Guist brothers. I will admit, Troy's pop is a little hard to understand sometimes.

Have you seen the one about clearing rocks & trees on highway cuts?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool Hand Fluke View Post

But the bycatch is just glossed over...

Looks like it's 50% or more of the catch. 

Do you think they'd ever have a season 2 if they addressed it though? 

Look guys, I'm not calling anyone idiots, dimwits and or anything like that. But it sure seems like the producers have gone out of their way to find a fleet that fits "their" profile of fishermen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob_G View Post

Look guys, I'm not calling anyone idiots, dimwits and or anything like that. But it sure seems like the producers have gone out of their way to find a fleet that fits "their" profile of fishermen.

These shows all generally seem to portray hard working people as dimwits. Now the gold miner guys, they really ARE dimwits! I still DVR every episode though. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tfisher View Post

swamp people WAY better

Yeah, it's kind of hard to make shrimping very interesting, not much drama. Set net, haul net, sort catch, lather, rinse & repeat. The sword boat show was a lot more interesting.