Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve in Mass

It's a Sunny, Chilly Friday....

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Actually, not all that chilly....seasonable would be a more correct term, but after all the warm weather we have had, it seems chilly. Warming up a bit again over the weekend into early next week, and getting back down to seasonable by Wednesday with some showers or maybe even some snow in some areas.

So, whatchya making?

Tonight is take-out pizza (it's been awhile.)

For the weekend, I already have a 7-Rib pork roast I bought yetserday that will go with kraut and pierogies for one day. Not sure what the other day will be. However, on one of the days for an appy, yesterday when I was at a fish market in Galilee to pick up some shellfish, I also bought a small eel, so will skin, fillet, and pan fry that as a starter. :drool:

Monday I have to go into Boston for a Dr. appointment, so not sure what I will do for solo dinner. If nothing else, will have a pork roll, egg, and cheese and some turkey soup.

Rest of the week, I am hoping that when I am in Boston I can get some squid and blue crabs.......if so, will do crab stuffed calamari for Tuesday. If only one or the other, then some pasta with red sauce and the shellfish. If neither, then perhaps will make meatloaf.

Another day will be fish on the grill. And the third day, probably Farmer's Style Chicken.

What are YOU making?

It's a balmy 70 degrees right now. Tonight will be some sort of take out. Tomorrow is Dijon crusted pork tenderloins with steamed broccoli and scalloped potatoes. Sunday I will probably grill a couple of rib-eyes. I'll have baked potatoes and a nice salad with that. The rest of the week depends on what's at the market.

I have to drive to Portland after work to see my son's band (The Average Suburban Housecats), so leftover minestrone when I get home around 11.

Hunting tomorrow and then cooking a venison shank a friend is giving me in the dutch oven with root veggies and grilled polenta.

Beans or no beans?

Very standard; 20oz white mushrooms + 1/2 oz dried Polish mushrooms, carrots, celery, pearl onions, yellow onions, potatoes,small can of tomatoes, garlic, herbs, and 2/3 a bottle of a pretty good Cab. No beans.

:v:

Very standard; 20oz white mushrooms + 1/2 oz dried Polish mushrooms, carrots, celery, pearl onions, yellow onions, potatoes,small can of tomatoes, garlic, herbs, and 2/3 a bottle of a pretty good Cab. No beans.

Sounds delish. Crock pot or not?

I'm going to try and take advantage of the last of the nice weather and work the grill.

I have a pair of 3 pound fryers brining as we speak. One will be butterflied and bbq'ed, the other will be placed on one of those verticle roaster deals (like beer can chicken) and roasted over the same grill, but only at a lower temp for dinner tomorrow.

I'm going to try and take advantage of the last of the nice weather and work the grill.

I have a pair of 3 pound fryers brining as we speak. One will be butterflied and bbq'ed, the other will be placed on one of those verticle roaster deals (like beer can chicken) and roasted over the same grill, but only at a lower temp for dinner tomorrow.

spatch cocked

spatch cocked

Never heard that term before, and just looked it up on Wiki. Yup, that's exactly the way I'm doing it. ;) Been doing it that way for years, just never knew there was a term for it. :laugh: Makes a nice bird.

Cooking the country ham this weekend (it's soaking right now)

Unless I give away the center (and I sometimes do to a chef buddy of mine) I'll be carving on it for myself until after the new year and providing ham biscuits for several upcoming holiday events.

If I give a big part of it away, I may have to get another.

Sounds delish. Crock pot or not?

No crock pot, roasted the aromatics and the shanks in the oven, then simmered them for two hours removed the shanks and hit the broth with the stick blender before adding back the shanks, browned chunks, celery, carrots, pearl onions, mushrooms etc. 6 hours on the stove.

It's glorious,

No crock pot, roasted the aromatics and the shanks in the oven, then simmered them for two hours removed the shanks and hit the broth with the stick blender before adding back the shanks, browned chunks, celery, carrots, pearl onions, mushrooms etc. 6 hours on the stove.

It's glorious,

Sounds great. Once the cooler weather arrives, I live on soups and stews. I'm doing the shanks in the dutch oven with fresh thyme, rosemary, shallots, celery, carrots, turnip and ****takes with a red wine base, served over grilled polenta.

Well, just figured out what the other weekend day meal will be. A friend of mine (Tuna or Later) just dropped by and dropped me off some venison backstraps............the deal was that he also brought some other venison meat that he wants me to turn into chili for him (and YES, he requested beans ;)), cause he has had my beef chili and loves it, and for some reason can't duplicate it himself. So I figured that is more than a fair deal....:)

So, the backstraps tomorrow for dinner......:)