Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jesbion

America on the rocks?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Maybe this is old hat for the crew here, but this stuck enough in my craw that I can't believe that everyone isn't livid about it.

Maybe I should go gently into that good night, and let those who will have to live with it face the repercussions, as, actually that is what will happen anyway....But, this article left me with a bad taste in my mouth/craw: senate-votes-to-let-military-detain-americans-indefinitely, (google it, it didn't link)

I can't believe it isn't the top contender here, as far as concerns. For that matter it should be everywhere in this country. We must be a very lax and subservient country full of ambient people who have no cares, but for their next meal, to let this concept slide by....American citizens imprisoned for nothing but suspicion, for indefinite time. Or doesn't that get your goat as much as mine?

If there was one thing that could rally both the liberal and conservative cause, it just slipped by the wayside....or did it? Since this is the first time I have been here in a good while, it is likely a gone and past discussion, but was it? Or did it just pass like another ship in the night, to park in our harbor, and unload it's nuclear payload, in plain sight?

I've been fighting it for almost 30 years, and almost thirty years I have been told I am crazy.

jesbion: senate-votes-to-let-military-detain-americans-indefinitely, (google it, it didn't link)

American citizens imprisoned for nothing but suspicion, for indefinite time

Check the Senate record for Senator Levin's statement or provision (?) that defines and limits the class of persons that the military is authorized to detain.

Need I? If they are American citizens, they are entitled to constitutional rights, no matter what the accusation, no matter what the context. Can you agree with that? The whole law leaves interpretation open for abuse.....

". . . including any person who has committed a belligerent act or has directly supported such hostilities in aid of such enemy forces." (1031.b.2)

Is "belligerent" a broad enough context for you?

4 legs good, 2 legs... better!!

Call your senator and tell him/her this is unacceptable and that you are not interested in their canned speech about why they voted for it.

The vote was almost unanimous.

Anyway, the ACLU is on it. This may the the first time I have ever been on the side of the ACLU on some issue.

Need I? If they are American citizens, they are entitled to constitutional rights, no matter what the accusation, no matter what the context. Can you agree with that? The whole law leaves interpretation open for abuse.....

". . . including any person who has committed a belligerent act or has directly supported such hostilities in aid of such enemy forces." (1031.b.2)

Is "belligerent" a broad enough context for you?

What I was getting at - without saying it - was that I had heard that Senator Levin made a statement and/or offered a provision that limited the scope of the detention authorization to a narrow class.

This Senate vote was something I wasn't clear about, having heard only a snatch of the discussion about it when I woke up in the middle of the night.

In this context, "being belligerent" as we customarliy think of it, may at law, differ from being "a belligerent," or a "person who has committed a belligerent act."