Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
reel gambler

1322 or 1322-2

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

XRA1322 (1piece) vs the XRA1322-2(2piece). Are there any differences between the two blanks, i.e. is one stiffer than the other, is the action the same, ect ect.

Going to have one built conventional, just wondering if anyone has expierence using the one piece over the two piece, and how they feel about each.

I like a parabolic action with my conventionals, and would prefer a two piece but...

I went through the almost compleat line up at Red Top Tackle a year or so ago and was amazed at how different the Ron Arra one piece rods are compared to the two piece. No sensible comparison for me was possible. Totally different in every model. I did not like the two piece version at all. For your peace of mind you should try at the least flexing both blanks first. To do otherwise would be a folly in the extreeme made more so if you are having a custom built. Why buy a rod that you don't know enough about? Pig in a poke comes to mind.

Mike

Thanks mike,

Of course I am gonna take a look at both blanks, just was hoping some of you guys have done this before, so when I go down to my builder, I can have some kind of idea what others have experienced and make my decision accordingly.

The sweet spot on the 1322 is around 3 oz and it's a fast action blank. If you want something more parabolic for conventional casting look at the Arra 1261MH. I once watched Crazy Alberto dump a Calcutta 400 without a level wind and spooled with 20 lb. Ande. Brian, I believe you were there.

The two big reasons I see for two piece rods are 1) the huge price increase to ship a one piece and 2) ability to handle the rod in your vehicle.

Interestingly , a lot of the high end rods now only come in two piece blanks with spigot type ferrels. A well made , precision machined ferrel can be easily designed into the 2 piece blank so they are fine however for the specific lamis you mention , I would get the one piece XRA1322 if possible

Lamiglas really needs to improve their ferrules. I wouldn't consider a 1322-2 for conventional.

The 126 1MH only comes in one piece.

Actually, Al, I wasn't, but you've mentioned it to me. He's one hell of a caster.

Alberto and I were at the Shinnecock Canal fishing for flounder once. We got bored, and started tossing jigs to see who could put the jig into the mouth of a drain pipe on the far side. .... glad I didn't bet any money against him, he was superbly accurate.

Saltheart,

It is sad that some would trade transportability over function. I can't mostly see the issue of transportability of one piece rods. Most of you Guys carry your rods on roof top rod carriers so no problem there. OK ok if you take more than one rod and its too long to get inside the vehicle when parked up and you only take one rod down to the beach you have a theft problem. So only take one rod full stop.. Its only when tips get over 9 feet that it gets a problem to get inside family sized cars.

I know it can cost over $100 to ship a Lami GSB 132 1M but to me the extra cost is worth every cent of a one piece rod in 11 feet. Having fished one piece rods for a couple of years I don't want to ever go back to two piece versions. They balance less well and weigh slightly more and I have yet to find a lami two piece that was anything like the one piece version. Once you have paid that extra shipping cost you know you have a great rod and over say 10 years it cost you just $10 a year, barely the cost of two pints of beer.. You just have to forget about it. Why make a long term very painful compromise. Makes even less sense to a custom builder who also Surf Casts. Most of my USA surf Buddies do one piece. But then maybe we are just a tad fanatical even if mostly broke. LOL

Mike

In Lami's I agree the one piecers are noticeably better. Thats do to the type of ferrels they have.. In the Centuries , I think the ferrels and butt sections are such that you don't lose much in the two piecers.

The other thing I will point out is that when yopu come here from England , you are meeting real surf fishing hounds at the best of spots like MTK etc. I have an SUV who's sole purpose is fishing and maybe 6 days a year while the heavy snow is on the ground before plowing. Not everyone is so lucky. :) Believe it or not , for every hard core guy with one piece rods on their roof rack , there are about 100 guys with 2 piecers in the trunk of their car! between the spare tire and the extra child safety seat. I believe (i have no data , just what I observe) that the single biggest reason peoplew go to two piece rods is so they can get them inside the vehicle.

The theft aspect you mentioned has gotten much worse over the last 15 years. Even with the SUV and its roof rack , my rods must be able to fit inside the vehicle while I am far from it fishing or when I go inside to say eat or shop. In my case , that limits me to about an 11 footer for my maximum 1 piece length despite the roof rack being able to hold even 13 to 15 feet if needed. I own 3 rather long rods. A Century TTL , a Lami 12 footer and an Allstar 1418. All are two piecers. Only the lami has any noticeable performance change do to the ferrel. The Century and All Star ferrels are excellent and IMO do not affect the rod performance at all.

I never look at the rod alone cost as far as two piecers go but the shipping costs now are rediculous compared to just a few years ago and that kind of money for shipping just grates against my New England upbringing! :) Now we are fortunate in my area to have many big tackle shops within an hours drive so they have laege quantities of blanks shipped together so the per blank shipping cost is quite low for them . In fact there is so much activity of higher end rods around here that we have distributors of Lami and other brands very near by which further mitigates the high cost of shipping 1 piece blanks to the retail consumers.

Saltheart,

I hear you. But you just shattered my hopes and beliefs. LOL Most Guys over here want two equal section split. Zziplex as you know have long tip around 8 feet and short butt with parallel joints which are very light compared to say a tapered spigot. I almost consider these rods as 1 piece.

As I get my blanks in M I to get the benifit of either Johnnies or Paulies making up more than a few rods in one piece. If I remember right I was politely asked for a contribution of $10 towards the carriage of my blank from John. Good deal that. But I can understand the situation if a Surfie is based in not such a hot bed of surf casting and having to have a blank shipped on special order.

There is definately a culture of you Guys hating shipping charges on almost everything that I have observed over the past 15 years of coming over the pond. I am used to biting the bullet to get stuff I need from the USA especially good cork.

I have to confess that Cape Cod for me now is fly only as it does have so many opportunities. Montauk I am never going to give up my spinning rods I just love it way too much. In Mid to late Oct even the keenest guys can get overwhelmed with the fly rod in M.

I am booked already to return to the Cape over the early June big spring tides. Might get to meet you one day. I hope so.

Mike