Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
justinfisch01

Why do you believe in God?

Rate this topic

57 posts in this topic

I don't post in the forum a whole but reading through another thread got me thinking about something. A little back story, I grew up in chuch, when to VBS, Christian summer camp...blah blah...then sometime last year I stopped believing in god. this is the first I time I have actually verbalized it. But for the believers how do you know the "god" you believe is the true god? I assume most of you are Christains but are you Christains because the Bible was the story you were told is true...Or did you sit down and read all the religeons books like the Bible, Coron (?)...etc and decide you beleive that the Bible is the story you believe. All of the books tell a great story. If you lived in the middle east and were brought up Muslim would you still believe in the Bible and dismiss Islam altogether.

Because the name GOD is on money and you have to believe input to get output "In GOD we trust" ;) . Man kind is too nieve to be practical after all there are a lot more living out there than just human :confused: Who knows who god is or what god is after all we can barely can get off of this friggin planet to truthfully know the universe even with telescopes doesn't make us experts on the universe we as humans just think it does :shock:

Here are my views...I personally believe the religion was created in a way to keep order among people by so called Elders of a region or community. If you look at the ten commandments everyone of them would be designed just to keep order among people. Sloth-they dont want you to be lazy, Stealing-self explainitory, and the list goes on. Of course they didn't want you to lust after the neighbors wife...its going to cause problems. And the fact that they base this all on a god...who you can not see, hear, touch. I know some of the people say they can feel him spiritually but that is not proof.....And thats is what people use to keep others in line....fear of something that they will not be able to confirm until they are dead...lol Perfect sceneio! The the whole thing about God forgives...that is just to try and gather ones that have strayed and done bad things. To offer to take them back, just so they don't say F-it and live a life of crime.

Don't get me wrong I pretty much live by the basic rules of life but not because someone said god told me to but because they make sense and do keep order

danflytr: even with telescopes doesn't make us experts on the universe we as humans just think it does :shock:

Malcolm Muggeridge's gargoyles are still laughing at us:

From a William F. Buckley Jr./Malcolm Muggeridge discussion:

Muggeridge: “Let’s think of the steeple and gargoyle. The steeple is this beautiful thing reaching up into the sky admitting, as it were, its own inadequacy—attempting something utterly impossible—to climb up to heaven through a steeple. The gargoyle is this little man grinning and laughing at the absurb behavior of men on earth, and these two things both built into this building to the glory of God.”

But what is he laughing at? Evil? Pomposity?

“He’s laughing at the inadequacy of man, the pretensions of man, the absolute preposteous gap—disparity—between his aspirations and his performance, which is the eternal comedy of human life. It will be so till the end fo time you see.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MACBETH:

To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,

Creeps in this petty pace from day to day

To the last syllable of recorded time,

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools

The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player

That struts and frets his hour upon the stage

And then is heard no more: it is a tale

Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,

Signifying nothing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happily, Muggeridge and Macbeth are wrong:

3/26/11

Quote:

Originally Posted by nipsip

IMO, the human race on earth is just an experiment that is failing.

3/26/11

lichum

I'm happy to inform you that you're wrong.

And I'm The Happy Pessimist!

Human progress and Man's accomplishments are astonishing.

Man developed the extraordinary power of computers.

We can study quantum physics, astrophysics, and explore outer space.

Humanity benefits from a myriad of advancing technologies.

Human life has improved or will improve due to mass education, engineering, higher mathematics, advanced chemistry, materials science, physics, nuclear power, lasers, neuroscience, the science of genetics and the mapping of the human genome, pharmaceuticals, modern medicine, laser surgery, disease eradication, decreasing mortality, increasing industrial productivity, agricultural science and animal husbandry that feeds the world, a rising material standard of living in poor countries, and so forth.

Man's accomplishments are breathtaking; his continuing improvements to human life are legion.

Religion is a construct of man, and most were born at a time when the masses were ignorant.

Religion is OUR attempt to explain God.

I think we are all right and all wrong.

most religions have silly rules,

prohibitions on food just seems silly to me.

but the flipside is that the sacrifice might give you reason to think of WHY you are sacrificing,

and a little contemplation on that is good.

I have little tolerance for those who use their religion as club to beat people over the head with.

but those who actually try to live the message are some of the best people on Earth.

I definitly agree with you FM...Wow can't believe I just said that! I have no problem with believers...if thats what they want to believe then they can, and yest the ones that are able to live by the rules of religion are great citizens and very nice people...they are accepting, caring, loving...etc .

But if they were raised somewhere else in the world under a different default reliegion they would most likely be what ever it was....They follow what they were told was right, hence the whole purpose of reliegon

What was it the little scientist character from "Bloom County" said when pondering his existence?? Something like the Universe is just a little too orderly to be a big damned mistake. I believe in God...not so sure what that gets me in life, but it provides me some comfort sometimes knowing he's there - and he is there. I don't pretend to understand, but I believe.

I don't think the God I believe is the "true" God. We aren't able to wrap our minds around the totality of existence. I believe deeply and abidingly in what I do understand though. I'm not in charge, but I should do all I can, whenever I can, for myself and others. Works for me.

I don't think the God I believe is the "true" God. We aren't able to wrap our minds around the totality of existence. I believe deeply and abidingly in what I do understand though. I'm not in charge, but I should do all I can, whenever I can, for myself and others. Works for me.

So you don't nessecarily believe in God in the sense of the christain god and Jesus....just that there is a higher power than us? I can understand that, I think my beef was with why certain people believe in the god that they do....

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish'nmagician View Post

Maybe in 2011 in the developed world, but many of the prohibitions were extremely practical way back when.  Would you want to eat shellfish in a place where people dump their excrement in the water?

Maybe in 2011 in the developed world, but many of the prohibitions were extremely practical way back when.  Would you want to eat shellfish in a place where people dump their excrement in the water?

I think he was referring too things like not eating meat on good friday, lent, stuff like that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by north-shore fisha View Post

no argument,

but that's an example of "authority figures" using religion to modify behavior.

it might be for someone's own good.

but it would be the equivolent of saying God doesn't want you to smoke, and incorporating an anti tobacco message into the bible.

yeah it's a good thing for society,

but do we really think it's GOD'S will?

Religion is a construct of man, and most were born at a time when the masses were ignorant.

Religion is OUR attempt to explain God.

I think we are all right and all wrong.

most religions have silly rules,

but the flipside is that the sacrifice might give you reason to think of WHY you are sacrificing,

and a little contemplation on that is good.

I have little tolerance for those who use their religion as club to beat people over the head with.

but those who actually try to live the message are some of the best people on Earth.

Most biblical scholars feel that the dietary laws of the Torah have nothing to do with avoiding potentially unsafe foods. There's no real evidence of whether the early Israelites even had access to shellfish. Shellfish aren't specifically prohibited under the ancient kasruth laws---they're prohibited by omission as to what is a lawful fish--ie, one that has fins and scales. Shark, eel and swordfish are equally verbotten to devout kasruth observers, and there is very little doubt that mercury poisoning wasn't a concern in 700 BC.

They are just arbitrary rules. Certain birds are OK, others aren't, and the ones that aren't have no greater risk of contamination than those that are. Same with insects, and an animal with a cloven hoof or which chews its cud isn't any more sanitary than a pig.

God is a primitive mental construct started by early humans to explain natural phenomena like clouds, and the sun, and floods, etc. It had more to do with scientific ignorance than belief. The archetype of an incarnate being called the Devil came much later.

It has evolved over the eons to become what it is today; An onerous and illogical mishmash of faith, fear, misinformation, and subjugation.

Religion is by its practice, self policing. Its ethos prevents the overwhelming majority of humans from running amok and killing each other.

Without religion the world would digress into anarchy. With it we are mindless sheep.

Hope this was helpful,

Speed