Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HJS

Mini Maglite, LED Flashlight, 2-AAs

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Mini Maglite, LED Flashlight, 2-AAs

My daughter wants a good flashlight for Christmas… one that she won’t have to bang, shake and prod each time to get it to work. Yesterday I saw the above flashlight at Lowes, ~$21. I’m use to the older-style, smaller LEDs that have multiple elements, like 9-20 mini bulbs, but looks like this Mini Maglite LED has only one element. The major draw for me concerning the Maglite is that it’s mostly Made in USA. That’s a huge plus in my book. My daughter is not looking for a high-powered spot light, just a flashlight to use around the house and to the car.

QUESTION: Is this flashlight sufficiently bright for outdoor use??? Is there any compromise in quality or quantity of light due to it being a single element LED???

BTW, are passengers allowed to take flashlights on airplanes, or in checked baggage? She'll have to fly from Baltimore to Denver.

Thanks all

The minimags(at least) used to be halogen, not LED. The difference is more light that seems to shine further and more power consumption.

:v:

The minimags(at least) used to be halogen, not LED. The difference is more light that seems to shine further and more power consumption.

:v:

The Maglite that Lowes is selling is definitely labeled LED. I thought LED Maglites was indeed something new for them so that's why I'm asking about performance.

The 2AA LED Maglites are good all-purpose lights. They're not as bright as some of the higher end lights, but are way brighter than their old 2AA halogen lights. I've heard estimates that they are in the 40-50 lumen range (Maglite claims 70), but I have no way of checking that, other than checking it out against my Surefire G2 LED. Compared to the G2 LED (which Surefire states is 120 lumens), the 2AA Maglite LED is not as bright or as uniform, but it's pretty darn good. Plus the 2 AA batteries lasts at least a good 4-5 hours at full brightness (dunno...mine are on the original set of batteries that came with the light two years ago). At 1/3 the price of a premium LED light, I find it a more than suitable alternative that's well made with durable aluminum and made in the USA, and comes with batteries!

BTW, Lowes had their Black Friday sale last week and the 2AA LED Maglites were on sale for $11...I bought 4! :p

I had a little replacement LED up-grade "kit" for my mini mag.  Unfortunately, I forget who made it.  But you can now get little LED flashlights from $.99 up, and the larger Maglite knock-offs for a good deal less all over the place.  Boscov's has them on sale all the time.  They make great stocking stuffers.  Would your daughter like a small LED headlamp?  I keep one on my night table because we seem to have many power outages around here.

Sometimes you can't use lithium batteries with certain LEDs..there's usually a disclaimer to that effect.

cwm40.gif  Maybe the upgrade kit was from Campmor...?  I think that now it's cheaper to buy a new Mini mag.  Cheers...

Thanks again guys. I'm trying really hard this Christmas to buy stuff that's at least partially, if not fully, made here in the USA. It ain't easy but it's out there. Most of those little multi-bulbed LEDs that are on display by most cash registers are all made out-of-country. I bought a few of them a couple years ago and I really like the light they make. They take 3 AAAs and last a long time and can take a licking.. Two of mine took a header down a full set of stairs, just like a slinky with it's headlights on. They were still working when they hit bottom.

I looked at the Surefire website. They are mostly made in USA. They are certainly top of the line but $90 to $150 per flashlite is 4X too expensive for me.

I know you guys probably don't want to hear this but I'll tee it up anyway - you can get a 500 lumen LED headlamp that runs on three AAA batteries (some models run on three AA batteries) and it'll cost you less than $12. If you want a 300 lumen headlamp, it's less than $6. It's focusable, so you can go from a flood to a spot in a jiffy. Search the big auction site for a 500 lumen (or 300lumen) LED headlamp and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Problem is they're sold out of Hong Kong.:o

the new led mag lites are very bright compared to the older model led mag lite i picked up a few last year at this time when they went on sale. The new model AA also has strobe light, sos, hi beam, and low beam and i submerged it in a bucket of water for over an hour to make sure its water proof and it was i keep one in each of my plug bags as well as another one with my crabbing stuff where i use the 2D also. great light for the money

I bought a LED conversion kit for my mini-mag several years ago, on clearance at Target for about $3. Kit consists of the LED bulb, and a new battery cap end. The replacement end has a toggle switch so you don't have to rotate the lens to turn it on. Has 3 intensities plus strobe mode. It's a big improvement. I wish I would've bought all they had.

Mini Mag conversion kits are available from 2 sources (manufacturers-

1)NITE-IZE

2)TerraLux

I've used both and like the single led models better than the multi led models from either provider.

You should be aware that the MiniMag now is available from the manufacturer with LED's.

Marc