Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bbuzzi

How Do You Like Your Eyes? With the newer Oval Eyes what way do you point them?

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Even though they originated from over my side of the pond, I hate the things, and just will not use them....Mind you, I don't suppose those that matter the most give two hoots about the shape of the pupils, or which way they are facing;););)

I know one instance in Freshwater.. I remember when trolling for Speckled Perch(Crappie) in the St Johns River in Florida, that the fish insisted on a bone Rat-L-Trap with a blue eye for some reason. Other colors wouldn't work.

FWIW; In saltwater; I was told as a young tier(whenever that was) that black eyes with the white pupil in the center signified a predator. The white pupils at the front or back of the eye indicates prey or fear.

I put eyes on a fly to add weight to make it sink or act as a keel and leave them bare or paint them with whatever color I have hand. I never though that it really made a difference. C2

Are you kidding? Point back of course! Duh! If you tie them point forward, the fish will hit the fly tail first. If you tie them point up, then dorsal first. Captain Dino taught me this principle when the eyes used to fall off one side of my albie flies years ago -- "They won't hit that side anymore." Uhhm.... or it doesn't matter, but I like 'em point back anyway.

Mostly point front/point down, but sometimes in-between. The reasoning would be based on the general shape and proportions of the fly's head and also the realistic effect: they are not always symmetrical in nature.

Dear "phriends":

A glance at the photos of bass just posted by the phenomenal Mr. Gray show clearly that the pupillary asymmetry is oriented rostrally --- ergo, point forward, no ??