Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shbeachbum

Hot Water Baseboard Heating

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

My daughter has her furnace water supply coming off her hot water heater. Just replaced the water heater and now she has no heat.

She has a Watch Dog RB122 water control low water cut off switch and one light is red and the other is green.

Any ideas what the problem is before calling a repair man ? I had her bleed the water lines and the water flows ok.

Thanks

Seems to be low on water. Green light is power indicator, and red means low water. Check the pressure gauge. At a cold temp, the pressure may range from 12 to 15 psi. If the boiler is hot, 180 degrees, it should be around 20 or so. There may be water in the system, but not enough. The water feeder may be slightly clogged or faulty. You may be able to add some water if the feeder has a fast fill lift lever. Watch the gauge while doing so. Don't lift the lever and walk away,or you'll set off the relief valve.

Agree with Mike. Sounds like you are air bound. The supply and return to the indirect HW tanks coil should have had isolation ball valves inline along with a purge station on the outlet side of the tank. It's possible that air got into the boiler and heating loops. Not a big deal. Just bleed the whole system and check every zone.

Sorry for the delay. Just home from work. Here is a step by step along with pictures that you may find useful. All you need is a bucket and a small piece of hose. I suggest to bleed the system cold, with the boiler off and then do a final bleed with the system on until the water turns warm. Pinch the hose while submerged in the bucket, let it open as the boiler builds up pressure. It's simple to do. If you are not sure which valves are what? Tale a picture and post it here.

http://masterplumber.net/remove_air.htm

Did it and the unit did not come on. She called for service and it turned out her chimney was blocked and a safety did not permit the furnace to light.

Her house is about 90 yrs. old and her father-in-law knocked a brick into the chimney yesterday when he tried to force the flue pipe for the new water heater into the chimney opening, I used aluminum mesh and furnace cement to plug the opening not realizing there was a blockage inside the chimney.

Thanks for the help.

We were way off. It sounded at first you described an indirect tank that was replaced. What was replaced or added was a direct fired tank vented in the chimney. Has nothing to do with the boiler.

Glad you found the problem.

Some people complain that actual mechanics charge too much money for a "simple" water heater change out. A real "pro" would have confirmed draft after the install.

People trying to help someone out with an "easy" job can kill people.

I'm currently working on a program with our states regulatory commission on the drafting (or lack of) of water heaters and the stats so far show that way too many as in maybe as much as 40% dont draft to outside, I dont nkow about you but I dont want that crap in my house.

Riddler kicks ass about plumbing and heating. Prolly don't remember me, but we met on the June 2004 kayak trip to Cape Cod. you had a brown Tarpon.

If you tell my co-worker that he would laugh to the grave. :D

I borrowed that kayak to make that trip. Where you with the KFS crew that stayed at the stoney island house?