Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cobia_slayer

Lets take action please watch

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

As often happens when something like this is posted, the backlash from watermen will come. I feel for them.

There is no doubt that more commercial fishermen will end up out of their business if this happens, just as many family farmers can no longer make a living. Our family farm was not economically viable long before my father found a new line of work too; now developers have bought the land from mom, and make far more than any farmer could ever make off of that land. I regret the passing of that way of life, but that is not a reason to stay with it. It was hard for dad to admit that; he always acted like some day the farm would work again. I live in a town with closed factories and unemployed people, who also never expected not to be able to follow their parents' careers.

From a purely economic point of view, not a sentimental one, commercial fishing may have lived out its time just like small steel mills, small grocery stores, or small farms.

As often happens when something like this is posted, the backlash from watermen will come. I feel for them.

There is no doubt that more commercial fishermen will end up out of their business if this happens, just as many family farmers can no longer make a living. Our family farm was not economically viable long before my father found a new line of work too; now developers have bought the land from mom, and make far more than any farmer could ever make off of that land. I regret the passing of that way of life, but that is not a reason to stay with it. It was hard for dad to admit that; he always acted like some day the farm would work again. I live in a town with closed factories and unemployed people, who also never expected not to be able to follow their parents' careers.

From a purely economic point of view, not a sentimental one, commercial fishing may have lived out its time just like small steel mills, small grocery stores, or small farms.

I've often thought this. They've been having a hard time making a living for a long time and they must see the writing on the wall. Even in the chesapeake where you can commercially fish with everything but dynamite they can barely make it work, and they can keep fish at 18"!!! The 18" limit is another problem unto itself though.

Deleted the video, not what this thread was intended for.

I would like to show the video to some of my fishing buddies in Sri Lanka. It is very relevant for us over on this side of the globe too. Could you please post it back ?

Thanks.