Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Grinder

Dooley - Hunting

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

In a nutshell......buy a bow. Practice, practice and practice.

Good (deer) hunters are tighter lipped about access and "grey areas" than any fisherman I know.

There are a lot of areas you can hunt, however firearm hunting greatly reduces the options.

For State land you need a DEC permit and for town land you need a local permit from the town clerk as well as "an invitation" to come hunt on their land from a landowner / endorsement.

On top of that you need your big game license...... The Fish and Game license clerk # is 444-0273 for any other info.

Shooting a deer with a shotgun on Long Island is like boat fishing in a bath tub :)

The information for shotgun deer hunting on Long Island is available here:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/jandeerli.pdf

You'll have to have mail/drop off a self-addressed stamped envelop with your back tag number on it, to the Ridge Check Station by this Monday. The drawing is Tuesday, for a number to make a reservation to hunt state lands. If you don't get a number, you can still go out and hunt the state lands by "stand-by". This if for any of the state managed lands including Otis Pike, Rocky Point, Sarnoff, Montauk State Park and HIther Hills. There is a map of all the properties in the document above. There are usually many openings to hunt stand-by, which they let out after 8 AM as I recall.

You can also enter the county drawing to hunt some of the Suffolk County Parklands. Here is last year's flyer on how to apply for that:

https://www.suffolkcountyny.gov/upload/parks/pdfs/shotgun2010.pdf

As was just suggested above, Long Island deer hunting is primarily an archery game. You have a three month long season with no weekend restrictions, and no land owner endorsements or 10 acre restrictions. a 4 week season, no weekend hunting, and all the other above restrictions on where you can find land to hunt.

And as for duck hunting. Nahhhhhhhhhhhhh, don't bother. Stick to the deer hunting. They taste better and who wants to hunt in a small boat, when it's snowing, blowing and 15 degrees outside . . . :kook:

Good luck,

Chris

Thank you for the tips gentlemen, I truly appreciate it.

I wasnt looking for specific spots; like fishing, I get a lot of self gratitude scouting out successful locations. I was just making sure I was following all procedures to maximize my hunting time. I get awfully bored in between fishing season and skiing season an was looking to plug the gap.

Ive read that the local waterfowl tastes awful and I dont have a boat, so I may scratch the duck hunting, I'm not one for killing for fun.

Is anyone familiar with the taste of Long Island pheasant or Canadian geese? Is it better than the local duck?

My goal is to get my archery game on by next year's season. Until then, I'll keep heading to the cabin in search of a buck.

Thanks again,

Michael

Most of your pheasants on Long Island are going to be stocked and are raised on corn. They are basically chickens, or "ditch parrots" and taste fine, even with tog as a side dish .

[img=

The Canada geese, can vary a lot. Your resident birds shot on the brine, that feed on the golf course lawns will be larger, better for collecting bands and collars, but taste worse than your migrant birds taken from a corn field.

IMG_1811.jpg

When you get into all the various types of hunting, you can keep yourself busy from September through March in NY, hunting geese, bow hunting deer, duck hunting, snow goose and crow hunting. That should cover you between fishing and skiing. .

Stick to the bow. No place really for guns in the burbs--all of LI really. If you want to gun hunt--go upstate and where your orange. I'm a little down on the gun hunting--I've had slugs whistle past my tree because someone unloaded their gun on a running deer with a slim chance of getting a clean kill. I also had a friend killed last year because the guy that shot him saw "something move in the brush". He got hit with a .30-06 round right in the back of neck. He did not have blaze orange on.

My parents house upstate got hit by a slug one thanskgiving by guys who were on a drive and again--unloaded on a deer running. The slug rolled right across the floor. My in-laws neighbor on LI got her sliding glass door blown out by some kid trying to shoot a turkey in her back yard--this was in a cul de sac. He was in full camo and standing in her backyard aiming at her house which was about 40 yards away--turkey was about 15 or 20 yards away eating corn. Idiot. He hit the turkey--but that birdshot was going to spray the house. He was with his dad too.

Get a portable stand and get used to shooting your bow out of it and look for spots with lots of sign. Not there's really any big bucks on LI--they're all in Iowa and Illinois. ;) People would be shocked to see the little slivers of woods those monster bucks hang out in.

Nice haul in that top picture

Deer - pheasent - tog....nice!

Yea, it's amazing the by-catch those long lines will pick-up huh Tom? :naughty:

Stick to the bow. No place really for guns in the burbs--all of LI really. If you want to gun hunt--go upstate and where your orange. I'm a little down on the gun hunting--I've had slugs whistle past my tree because someone unloaded their gun on a running deer with a slim chance of getting a clean kill. I also had a friend killed last year because the guy that shot him saw "something move in the brush". He got hit with a .30-06 round right in the back of neck. He did not have blaze orange on.

My parents house upstate got hit by a slug one thanskgiving by guys who were on a drive and again--unloaded on a deer running. The slug rolled right across the floor. My in-laws neighbor on LI got her sliding glass door blown out by some kid trying to shoot a turkey in her back yard--this was in a cul de sac. He was in full camo and standing in her backyard aiming at her house which was about 40 yards away--turkey was about 15 or 20 yards away eating corn. Idiot. He hit the turkey--but that birdshot was going to spray the house. He was with his dad too.

DLH, that's a shame to hear about your friend. I understand your disdane for gun hunting when you have been the personal victim of so many stupid incidents. I"ve gun hunted all over NYS (LI, ADK, Catskills, and Western NY), and we've had some close calls too. But I do think it's safer hunting down here with the shotgun that up in the catskills for opening weekend. As you said, ALWAYS WEAR BLAZE ORANGE! I also know of a number of very stupid archery "accidents" that have happened down here. Arrows landing in peoples homes, and one woman that was shot with an arrow while hanging her laundry. . . Stupid people use all forms of weaponry.

Not there's really any big bucks on LI--they're all in Iowa and Illinois. ;) .

Yea you got that right! ;)

A friend of mine actually took a buck a couple weeks ago that is a pending NYS record, archery, non-typical from here on LI. Just gotta wait for it to dry for official scoring. 216" gross, 23 pts, 31" spread, 165-lbs dressed.

Yea, it's amazing the by-catch those long lines will pick-up huh Tom? :naughty:

DLH, that's a shame to hear about your friend. I understand your disdane for gun hunting when you have been the personal victim of so many stupid incidents. I"ve gun hunted all over NYS (LI, ADK, Catskills, and Western NY), and we've had some close calls too. But I do think it's safer hunting down here with the shotgun that up in the catskills for opening weekend. As you said, ALWAYS WEAR BLAZE ORANGE! I also know of a number of very stupid archery "accidents" that have happened down here. Arrows landing in peoples homes, and one woman that was shot with an arrow while hanging her laundry. . . Stupid people use all forms of weaponry.

Yea you got that right! ;)

A friend of mine actually took a buck a couple weeks ago that is a pending NYS record, archery, non-typical from here on LI. Just gotta wait for it to dry for official scoring. 216" gross, 23 pts, 31" spread, 165-lbs dressed.

Don't get me wrong. I gun hunt every year and love shooting. I can't imagine the catskills--I hunt in Livingston County around Rochester and it gets a little crazy there but I've heard some stories about the Catskills. Guys driving back to Brooklyn with a goat strapped to their grill. :shock:

That buck your buddy got is ridiculous. What a monster--it shouldn't lose much from that green score this late in the season. Those numbers are just unreal--31" spread! I would love to see some of the trees that thing destroyed making rubs.

Ive read that the local waterfowl tastes awful and I dont have a boat, so I may scratch the duck hunting, I'm not one for killing for fun.

Michael

Just be a little selective on the ducks. Stay away from the sea ducks and most of the divers such as scaup, goldeneye and bufflehead. Never, ever shoot a merganser.

On the bay, the teal are pretty good, the mallards are OK. Black ducks can be a little fishy, but aren't bad, and can be enjoyable if cooked right (I found a recipe with black current jelly and capers that has them tasting just fine.)

If you're landlocked, you can find some shore-based duck hunting at a couple of spots on the Otis Pike Preserve (accessible through the Ridge check station; access permit only needed after December 31, but you can only get in on the weekends when the shotgun deer season is on; for the rest of December, it is reservation-only). Suffolk County residents can also hunt Southhaven County Park, where they enter a morning and afternoon lottery for one of 12 blinds. You need a green key, the regulations are a little clunky and heavy clumps of dead emergent vegetation along the banks can make recovering cripples problematic if you don't have a dog (in other words, if it's on the water and still capable of swimming, keep shooting), but you get some shots, there are some fresh-water puddle ducks up there along with birds that come in from the bay, and you sometimes get shots at geese as well. And it gives you something to do outside in January.

The bottom line is that there are some hunting opportunities close by, but you do have to take some time to ferret them out.