Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
op1

Made In America (a must watch video)

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

5% = 200,000 jobs ... there are a whole lot of places we can improve as a country....this is surely one of em....

Why stop at 5%. Why not offer a tax break to builders who use Made In America products. Make it pro-rated. The more Made In America products they use the bigger the tax break. I think that's a stimulus we could all get behind.

define made in America?

Assembled in America from foreign parts? Or do all the component parts have to be made in America? And then do the components of the components have to be made here? And it is OK to be "made in America" using immigrants from other countries...including illegal immigrants? How about if the company is owned by another foreign company, but just happens to be in America? What if it's America company but most of their other products are made overseas? What if everything is made in America, but the company is owned and employed exclusively by legal immigrants...?

Way to many questions....

Why stop at 5%. Why not offer a tax break to builders who use Made In America products. Make it pro-rated. The more Made In America products they use the bigger the tax break. I think that's a stimulus we could all get behind.

Because it would probably violate NAFTA, and a host of other 'free' trade agreements that the Congress and the Executive branch have sold us down the river with, over these last decades. Remember that the World trade court has ruled against us many times on the issue of 'unfair' trade practices. :dismay:

Still, I don't want to be too big a hypocrite about it. After getting royally screwed over by American car manufacturers for my last three autos, I finally broke with the 'buy American' mantra, and bought a Japanese made vehicle. I've never driven a finer automobile, and it has given me nary a lick of trouble. :clap:

Still, I don't want to be too big a hypocrite about it. After getting royally screwed over by American car manufacturers for my last three autos, I finally broke with the 'buy American' mantra, and bought a Japanese made vehicle. I've never driven a finer automobile, and it has given me nary a lick of trouble. :clap:

that's probably because your "US car" was made in Korea, while you "Japanese car" was built in Detroit

Because it would probably violate NAFTA, and a host of other 'free' trade agreements that the Congress and the Executive branch have sold us down the river with, over these last decades. Remember that the World trade court has ruled against us many times on the issue of 'unfair' trade practices. :dismay:

Increasing tariff on imports would be a violation. However offering incentives in the way of tax breaks for US builders who build homes with US products would not violate any agreement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by op1 View Post

Increasing tariff on imports would be a violation. However offering incentives in the way of tax breaks for US builders who build homes with US products would not violate any agreement.

I wish they would have discussed dollars in the story.  They did not, the reporter said at the end of the story that comparable houses cost "nearly the same".