Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RegDunlop

new moon or full moon

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

anybody prefer one over the other?

personally I like either just not on the day of...usually a few days before and a few days after

New moon. The full moon can be difficult, and it's not because the fish feed throughout the night as many believe.

I personally don't buy into that, and i'm convinced there are a number of factors at play that make the full moon period more difficult than any other time, including the new moon. If you adjust and alter your game plan, you can do well.

New moon. The full moon can be difficult, and it's not because the fish feed throughout the night as many believe.

I personally don't buy into that, and i'm convinced there are a number of factors at play that make the full moon period more difficult than any other time, including the new moon. If you adjust and alter your game plan, you can do well.

As cnnashman said.Adjust your game.Position a boat at the end of an outgoing creek ,river, etc. to take advantage of the strong current.Most guys that hate fishing these conditions are unproductive because they do no adapt.My 2 cents fella's Thanks Alan

In most locations I much prefer the new moon.I think bass feel much safer coming into shallow water when it is dark. On full moons I think the primal fear of being exposed and eaten takes over. This is not to say that some deeper water spots cannot be productive on the full. Also if there is enough bait bass will feed actively in shallow water that is lit. A good example is in Montauk when the baby weakfish migrate on the moon cycles there can be great fishing. This said I have found that bluefish seem less affected by the light of the full moon than bass but, again, this varies.

I always loved the new moon and will continue to love it.

However this year I have done really well on the full moon and in shallow water, standing on the beach. The fish that are there are usually bigger and you can really do quite well. Color does not seem to be a factor either as I did well on black needles on these nights "walked on top." I've had some slow bright nights as well but never again will I hesitate to get out on a full moon.

I prefer the new moon over a full moon but I would rather something in between. Maybe this is wrong but it seems like the full moon negatively affects fishing under the street lights for me. On the jetty the full moon works out just fine most times for me.

I am usually not a full moon guy but last year on a moon so bright I could see deer a hundred yards away and see fish breaking 30 yards out in the surf. I had fish up to 30# for four hours non-stop. Gotta fish them all.