Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rhahn427

Any Spey Casters in Md/Del/Northern VA

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

I'm new to Spey Casting. A friend took me to a Spey Clave on the Clearwater in Idaho a couple of years ago and even arranged some private lessons with Mike Kinney. I was hooked but didn't have a Spey rod until I recently stumbled on to a TFO Lefty Kreh Professional 9 wt Spey rod and a couple of blanks to build some more. I was just wondering if there were some Spey Guys on this coast and what kind of fishing they do and if there are any claves here.

either ........... but I was wondering about Spey Fishing the surf ,,,,,,,,,

What rivers around here are big enough for spey casting ........... I can think of the Susky and the Delaware but I don't think of them as big fish waters except for the spring .......

Welcome! Spey casting is always useful when there is limited room behind. You can Spey cast 10Ft of 000wt line with 5Ft single hand rod up to 1400gr/100Ft belly line with 18Ft two hand rod.

Do a search here and you can find a lot of info of Spey in SW.

Oh no! Spey in the surf. Suggest you get it down pat in fresh water first. In my view Spey has limited use in salt water especially on a surf beach when a decent surf is running. Good for Inlets and esturary mouths. For surf think overhead. You may just want to try out a single hander rod first whilst you learn the ropes a bit. Play to your strengths.Surf is a whole lot different than your lake and river.

Mike

Oh no! Spey in the surf. Suggest you get it down pat in fresh water first. In my view Spey has limited use in salt water especially on a surf beach when a decent surf is running. Good for Inlets and esturary mouths. For surf think overhead. You may just want to try out a single hander rod first whilst you learn the ropes a bit. Play to your strengths.Surf is a whole lot different than your lake and river.

Mike

The surf and Spey casting aren't compatible IMHO, based on experience.

Better yet; get a switch rod which allows overhead casting. It is a two handed or one handed rod depending on the situation. JMHO C2

Better yet; get a switch rod which allows overhead casting. It is a two handed or one handed rod depending on the situation. JMHO C2

Charlie

I basically agree with you except I see absolutaly no benifit with Switch rods. Too long and powerful for single hand use and way too short to make effective two handed overhead casting rods. For me its either a 9 foot no 10wt or a 14 foot TH casting around 750 grains for surf fishing. But thats only my view.

Mike

Charlie

I basically agree with you except I see absolutaly no benifit with Switch rods. Too long and powerful for single hand use and way too short to make effective two handed overhead casting rods. For me its either a 9 foot no 10wt or a 14 foot TH casting around 750 grains for surf fishing. But thats only my view.

Mike

Thanks; Mike, for the reply

Let me explain my setup: First, I have a 12 foot surf rod made from a crappie pole blank. It has a parabolic action.

It has a reversible handle(ferrule on both ends) which allow fishing with the rod either in the high or low positions.I can fish with fly, spinning or casting depending on the reel type and position.

I was 'fooling' around one day when I was about to reverse the handle to fish it as a fly rod with the reel in the low position when a light came on. I left the reel seat in the high position and put the fly reel there. Voila! a two handed fly rod.

When I go to the surf, I determine if the wind conditions and pedestrian traffic will allow a good back cast. If not; I'll just put a spinning reel on the rod and fish with small jigs. I could put a small casting reel in the high position to fish larger lures, but 1/2 oz is about the limit for this rod.

I've caught some rather large fish using this one rod. I take one rod, a bucket and a plug(lure) bag.

I can fish this rod one handed with the fly reel in the low position; 'switch' to allow two handed fly and other types of .casting.

Sorry about the long post. C2

When I go to the surf, I determine if the wind conditions and pedestrian traffic will allow a good back cast. If not; I'll just put a spinning reel on the rod and fish with small jigs. I could put a small casting reel in the high position to fish larger lures, but 1/2 oz is about the limit for this rod.

C2

Is this the rod you have Spey casted in surf? Seems very light.

IMHO Spey casting is surf is not more difficult than overhead casting. Breaking waves which I have seen have a "sequence pattern" and there is enough time to place the anchor between them and it does not matter much if water is foamy or not because caster learns to adjust the timing.

However Spey casting has only one disadvantage and it is difficulty to strip fly close.because it requires more work to get line head out of rod tip again. Spey line has most of the weight in the rear of the belly so false casting is not effective. Easiest method is sweeping rod tip close to water so water drag helps getting line out. Also doing few Forward Speys so that during "back cast" line is let run out.

Spey casting is the most enjoyable way to catch nothing :D

Charlie,

Interesting set up. I would find it very hard to cast a 12 footer with one hand even a light rod. You must have good arms.;) The type of conditions we fish in the NE would probably overpower your set up. What chance you could get up there one fall. I reckon you would love it so different to FL.

Mike

Crunch,

It sounds all so easy sitting in our armchairs timing the Spey cast between clean lines of breaking surf. Mostly I never seem to get kind conditions like that. I could post up a bit of video footage I took in Montauk this year where just getting any sort of line out felt good. But Its not great viewing in that the surf looks smaller than it really was plus we got no fish.

I have booked my Motel for the Cape in June for 14 days. I know its tough for you but I still hope that you might be able to come to. If not you will, be missed a lot. Place will not be the same. We had a blast.

Mike

I have seen two uncensored Montauk videos -Starring Mad Mike Oliver- :p and I understand it is special. I built a Montauk Special rod and line but unfortunately I could not come this fall. It was a Loop Greys 9Ft 12wt four piece rod which I shortened to 7Ft using only three top sections. Line I built is a Hardy Mach Spey 55Ft 8wt Intermediate (500gr) which I turned backwards so that the thick rear end is towards the fly. I believe I am able to cast almost 50Ft to very strong headwind.

When we went fishing together I fished with 12'6'' TH rod four times. Twice it was that estuary and it was like river fishing so I had my fly in the water longer than would have been OH casting so Spey was better and there was no need to strip no more than I did shoot, Then it was that Chatham trip where I meet you and Herb on the Light House beach. Again it was like river left and efficient just cast and swing. Unfortunately fish did not co-operate :(

Then we continued to that windy beach which walking route took a while to find. We all suffered with that head wind but I think I did OK because I had 500 gr head. Then that fourth trip it was to bay side flats and it was again like deep and fast river left and I casted a new fast sinking line first time and found out it was bit too long. And because of wind from left and as we stood deep I had to use Double Spey. Casting was hard but soon I did constant good range but like you said I made a hell of a noise with all that foaming of water. Then later when it became dark and slack I chaged a floating line and fish did not mind I was Speying in shallow water. At Race Point trip I took a 11Ft TH with heavy Skagit line setup just for change. It was more like swell breaking just at the water line but I proofed to myself that Heavy Skagit line setup delivers rather big fly to decent fishing range but flies must be tied with special care as I broke two sort of "flatwings".

Only time we saw some surf was that windy Atlantic beach and before seeing it for change I took a SH rod but I could have Spey casted with TH rod too.

Esa