Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mojo7

Fish Tank Help

Rate this topic

86 posts in this topic

My daughters have been asking for awhile now for me to get them a fish tank. Years ago I had a 55 gal. with two oscars and they were cool cool to watch and not to hard to care for. I'm thinking of getting the same type fish and maybe one or two more that would be ok together in the same tank.

I've been looking on CL for a complete used set up between 55-75 gallons. Is there anything I should be looking out for? I see some with dual filters, under gravel filters is one any better than the other? Heaters? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Any suggestions on fish types. I do like the oscars and watching them eat gold fish and frogs.

Thanks,

Mark

Stay away from under gravel filters.All they do is hide the crap under your gravel.Stay away from tanks that were previously used for lizards,snakes,etc.The best combo in my opinion for fish like that is having a hang on the back filter and having a sponge filter.As far as the fish go.When you get your tank set up and cycled drop me a line.I have been bringing in weekly orders of fish and can get just about any fish your looking for.My prices will be lower and the fish will be top notch.There was 11 kinds of oscars on my list this week:).You should be able to get a 55 set up on CL for 100.00.I will look around for you and see what i can find.

Try to get a canister filter with the tank. Instead of the hob's. As for fish get something you just like watching there are tons to choose from. The kids will probaly like any of them as long as they can feed them, that is what my kids like to do. But i only keep dwarf shrimps now.

Mojo -

FYI - I'd opt for a 75 over a 55. Same length, but it's a wider tank, giving the fish more room to turn. I always found the 12" 55 gallon to be a pain to work with. The 75 adds an additional 6" back to front, and doesn't seem as confined. I got my old 125G tank and stand on CL for $75. I'll keep my eyes open on any deals that I see, and along with HFG, feel free to drop me a line. We only have like, 6 tanks set up at the house :p

Stay away from under gravel filters.All they do is hide the crap under your gravel.Stay away from tanks that were previously used for lizards,snakes,etc.The best combo in my opinion for fish like that is having a hang on the back filter and having a sponge filter.As far as the fish go.When you get your tank set up and cycled drop me a line.I have been bringing in weekly orders of fish and can get just about any fish your looking for.My prices will be lower and the fish will be top notch.There was 11 kinds of oscars on my list this week:).You should be able to get a 55 set up on CL for 100.00.I will look around for you and see what i can find.

Hi, what kind of price's can you get for discus if i may ask?

Hi, what kind of price's can you get for discus if i may ask?

I get discus for 40-150 depending on size,variety,and grade.

I have to agree with Justin that a 75 would be a better tank for oscars or even bigger.Canaster filters are great but not as easy to clean or not as easy to see they need to be cleaned.

Under gravel filter is not a good system because it is very difficult to clean if you have live plants. The roots of the plants will clog up the screens.

Hang on back are simple to maintain, but most likely you will need two for oscar.

Canister filter are the best choice if you want live plants in a community fish setup (no oscar). You can also get a Hydor inline heater connected to the return of the canister filter for very uniform and stable heat control.

Try to find a setup that will also include a water changing hose system (python water changing system). Don't forget to cycle your new tank before adding your new fish.

Good luck.

canisters can be really good if you are adamant about staying on top of cleaning. Newer HOB filters do a great job, and often I will pair a HOB filter with a canister, use the HOB for biological filtration and the canister for mechanical and chemical. Also the sponge filter is a good option for biological filtration if you don't mind the look of it.

Depending on the size of the oscar and how much maintenace (Partial Water Change), two large oscar would be max for a 55 gallon with a decent filter generally speaking. Oscar are aggressive species, so you will have to get other fish that are at the same level. Maybe flower horn or cichlid.

Under gravel filter is not a good system because it is very difficult to clean if you have live plants. The roots of the plants will clog up the screens.

Hang on back are simple to maintain, but most likely you will need two for oscar.

Canister filter are the best choice if you want live plants. You can also get a Hydor inline heater connected to the return of the canister filter for very uniform and stable heat control.

Try to find a setup that will also include a water changing hose system (python water changing system). Don't forget to cycle your new tank before adding your new fish.

Good luck.

Won't want live plants with oscars or most cichlids in general... the under gravel filter is like the conventional reel of keeping tanks. If done right, it can be great, but with all of the new advancements out there, there is really no significant advantage to using them,a nd often can be more of a pain than a help.

I agree that you would not want live plants with oscar and cichlid in general. They would eat or distroy the plants.

Just stating that live plants is not a good combination with an undergravel system.

What do I need to do when filling the tank with city water? Where I used to live had well water and I didn't have to worry about the chlorine in the water. Without even thinking about it this past summer I through some shinners in a freshly filled 10 gal. tank and within minutes they were all dead.:shock:

I use Prime for clorine in the tap. You might want to get a water tester kit. Find out what your tap pH. Oscar like a pH about 7.2. You sould be ok but is good to double check.

19923_001_xl.jpg

And ideal pH for most tropical and sub-tropical fish is actually lower, 7.2 they will live fine, but a pH of 6.8 is actually safer for the majority of fish. At 6.8,, and a temperature of between 70 and 78, if your ammonia is measured at 5ppm (etremely high), the amount of NH3 (ammonium) in the water is going to be high, but not lethal if taken care of. If your PH is higher, like say 7.2 with the same water temperature, an ammonia level of 3ppm will result in extremely toxic water for fish to live in.

Not sure of this link will work here, but it explains ammonia toxicity in fish tanks, and really helped me out when I was first learning.

Basically put, the higher you keep the PH, the easier the ammonium break down into straight ammonia, which is toxix to fish.

http://dataguru.org/misc/aquarium/AmmoniaTox.html

Once a tank is fully cycled, you should see nothing but 0 for ammonia and 0 for nitrite, with your nitrate levels slowly climbing. I keep an eye on my nitrate levels, and once they pass 20ppm, I do a 25% water change, which will bring it down to 10-15ppm.