Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slingin Eels

Tight Drag....

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Just curious to see how many guys fish with a tight drag. Personally, I like to play the fish a little before bringing her in but after seeing anglers this past weekend murder the fish on tightened drags is just a question that needs to be answered. The fish average 10-12 pounds, do you really need to tighten your drag down to crush the washers? I thought and correct me if I am wrong but fishing with a decent amount of pressure on your reel should be the way to do it and if you need to adjust the drag you can always tighten it up. I have witnessed snapped lines and snapped rods because drags were so tight on mid-teen bass. Funny, but....let's here your explanations please. Thanks

i use a tight drag all the time, espicially when slinging eels, ive lost some nice fish due to a loose drag and i couldnt stick em. i usually run 2-4 clicks off max on my saltist 20LW and i havent had much time using my stella 10K yet so i cant say. but i have lost big fish due to a overly tight drag so idk i guess what ever the person feels is best for the certain situation at hand

It depends what I'm doing. If I'm fishing soft plastics for bass in the 25-32 inch range, I'm using a light rod with a real loose drag. If I'm throwing stuff at big blues, the drag is going to be a lot tighter.

Yes, it depends on the conditions- rocks, inlets, crowds...crank it up. It also depends on what you are throwing. I fish a diferrent drag when bucktailing with an 8/0 hook vs. a 5 inch rebel or redfin.Also a fish will probably be in better condition for release if it is brought in quickly. If you are snapping lines and breaking rods then something is wrong....

How many people actually measure their drags with a scale?  I measured what I thought was a tight drag on my Shimano TN14 and it was 9lbs.  Is that considered tight? Loose? Average?  I'm fishing it from the surf.

Interesting replies, keep them coming.

For me, I keep moderate pressure on my pluggin outfit, it also depends what I am throwing. As for measuring the drag with a scale I did when I purchased my first Avet :D

For me it's decided directly on the fish i am targeting, conditions don't really matter much , there is very rarely people around. Speckled trout require a relatively loose drag or you'll lose them, but bigger drum can be fought with a considerably tighter setting.

Sheepshead, for instance will wrap and break you off almost immediately if your drag is not set high, as they always hug structure. Since i rarely use secondary drag reels anymore, i have to lock down my drag everytime i cast for distance or, well you know what can happen lol. But it all comes down to species of fish that determines drag for me.

I have witnessed snapped lines and snapped rods because drags were so tight on mid-teen bass. Funny, but....let's here your explanations please. Thanks

Unless you're fishing light tackle I don't see how this happens with mid teen bass. I fish a relatively tight drag and 40lb braid. Any fish ~20lbs or under is pretty much coming straight in with little fight. If they start to run I apply some extra pressure. If they come off, then so be it. I don't keep many bass and my goal is to get them in asap so they'll be in good shape. I've seen far too many yahoos overplaying fish and fighting them until they're exhausted.

How many people actually measure their drags with a scale?  I measured what I thought was a tight drag on my Shimano TN14 and it was 9lbs.  Is that considered tight? Loose? Average?  I'm fishing it from the surf.

My guess would be that 9# is quite a bit above average, in the Striper Surf anyway.

Unless you're fishing light tackle I don't see how this happens with mid teen bass. I fish a relatively tight drag and 40lb braid. Any fish ~20lbs or under is pretty much coming straight in with little fight. If they start to run I apply some extra pressure. If they come off, then so be it. I don't keep many bass and my goal is to get them in asap so they'll be in good shape. I've seen far too many yahoos overplaying fish and fighting them until they're exhausted.

Same here...

I can not put it in words how much it irritates the living F&%K out of me seeing someone take 7 years to bring a fish in, especially if they intend to release it.

Also with a tight drag you get a better hook set, thus you should theoretically loose less fish

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plug and teaser View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Bot56 View Post

My guess would be that 9# is quite a bit above average, in the Striper Surf anyway.

Thanks.  It's good to know I'm not drag limited for the surf.

Tight drags and set that hook deep. I do not want to have any drag slip what so ever on a hook set. And a good fish is going to give me a good pull, probably make me step forward. After the hook set I will loosen up the drag. You never know when that big momma is going to come along and I want to be able to set my hook into bone if need be. A little fish will go head over tail and the shad that are off of NJ loose there face.

i think the last time i measured my drag on my saltist 20LW on a 10' mh shimano rod it was 15-19lbs range had to do it quick as the scale looked like it might break and i didnt want to break my rod. also im using #65 bg braid and #100 mono leader

Always have my drag pretty tight. If there is one thing I absolutely hate its loosing a good fish because I could bury the hook when I went to set it because it pulled drag. I'm also have confidence in my gear knowing it won't fail me, because I use all quality tackle and equipment, and that plays a big part of it for me. Other factors are the C&R benefit and although I enjoy a good fight, I like to get the fish in as quick as I can because the longer that fish is in the water the more of a chance I have of loosing it.