Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
applecore

cold weather wading top/jacket

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

(Edit- Should have been more specific- I'm thinking river-side, steelhead fishing environment. ) What do you guys wear when the temps are south of freezing- or south of zero for that matter? Do you simply bundle up layers beneath a breathable wading jacket/shell? Or are there waterproof, insulated options out there that work well?

Thanks in advance. :)

I am the king of getting cold...it's just how I'm wired. Keeping the top half of me warm actually starts with my waders: 5 mil neoprenes that come way up to my chest. I'm a layers guy: an UA mock neck, a microfleece shirt, (if it's really cold) a fleece vest, and a heavyweight fleece jacket over that. Final layer is a breatheable shell.

The coldest weather I've ever fished in was 10 degrees, but that was only for a few hours. It's kind of hard to cast when your line freezes instantaneously in midair.

I think it's worth mentioning that for many people, (I'm one of them) keeping head, feet, and hands warm is critical to staying warm. Next to my 5 mil waders, hand warmers are my bestest buddy.

Simms surf top for the coast. Wading jackets are useless and eventually you will get wet with them in the surf.the don't make those simms surf tops anymore and luckily I got my hands on 2 of them! An alternate is aquaskins surf top

I wear a surfing neoprene hood with a visor I picked up in a surf shop. Tested perfectly. Its 3 mil thick and seals out water.

the simms dry top is a POS destroyed 2 in less than a year. either layer up and use athe guy cotton jackets and have no problem. or just layer with a goretex jacket

the simms dry top is a POS destroyed 2 in less than a year. either layer up and use athe guy cotton jackets and have no problem. or just layer with a goretex jacket

I am interested in hearing more about your issues with simms dry top. I had mine for 2 years now. Used it probably 3 dozen times. If your talking about a rip where the neck seal separated from the fabric then it may be due to when pulling it off. I can see that being an issue.

the neo de laminating from the neck, waist and cuffs. it is an ok top in a pinch but not worth the cash i paid when they first came out. the material also leaks, and isnt even water resistant. also i have worn the new replacement mabe 10 times and it just sits

the neo de laminating from the neck, waist and cuffs. it is an ok top in a pinch but not worth the cash i paid when they first came out. the material also leaks, and isnt even water resistant. also i have worn the new replacement mabe 10 times and it just sits

Hmm, mine work perfectly right now. I got them when they were discounted.

Spent lotsa hours freezing my behind off in steelhead streams in Canada,Mi,Pa,Oh and Ny.

I start out w/ the feet,wicking liner,midweight wool kneesocks,300wt fleece socks over that.

300wt fleece bottoms you can get at outlet malls,just make sure it says 100%polyester,cotton soaks up sweat and will make you cold.Under 20 deg or wading deep(like in Mi's PM) I'll add a heavyweight pr of long underwear.Polyester/wicking underwear,boxer style.

On top, a wicking top,fleece of 100-200wt depending on weather and a mid to heavy(heavy more for deep wading than cold) fleece vest.Vest is good,keeps upper body warm w/o overheating like too many layers of sleeves.

A hat w/ brim and earflaps that you can choose to use or not and made of goretex.

Fleece fingerless gloves.

Calories.Gotta have fuel in the furnace to keep warm.I always carry a backpack w/ lunch,beverages and maybe a thermos of something hot if it's cold.I use a roltop waterproof bag that actually helped me float out of a close call once.Had all my stuff zipped and fastened and pulled tight and I only took a little water up top.

Boots w/ carbide studs for the ice.Make sure they are a size or two larger to fit all what you're wearing.

I prefer breathable waders but neoprene is a good call if you deep wade a lot.Boot foot waders are warmer but a boot w/ cleats over stockingfoot is better traction/grip.Never use felt soles in winter as they will collect ice/snow on the bottom and make wading dangerous.

A good rainproof top to keep wind and wet at bay.Breathable is a must.

riverside, go with a wading jacket, waterproof breathable and I like primaloft to layer with when real cold. It is lightweight and warm. 60 gram jacket or real real cold go 100 gram, that can get a little bulky. In the surf I wear a kokatat tectour paddling jacket. 3 layer gore tex with latex wrist seals and an adjustable neck. It also has a hood. When you aren't using the hood it can be a little pain in the neck, get it!

But when you need it, its nice.