Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
micadogs

Hi from Oz

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Hi All

Just a quick introduction of myself as I am new to this forum. My name is Adam Edwards and I live in Brisbane, Queensland Australia.

We are quite spoilt for fishing over here, with warm weather, access to saltwater esutary, offshore and freshwater fishing all within 30 minutes drive.

I mainly fish offshore for: (approx 300 foot of water)

• In the winter - snapper and pearl perch

• In the summer - mahi mahi, tuna, amberjack, cobia, tuna, mackeral etc

I also enjoy fishing inshore for whiting, flathead, jewfish etc. when I take family and friends in the boat.

I have attached some pictures to show some of the above fish. One of them shows the area that we live and fish in.

I build all my own rods for offshore and estuary use. I use both conventional and spinning setups depending upon what I'm fishing for. I use live bait, strip baits, plastics and sometimes troll hardbody lures depending upon the season and traget species. I like to experiment with different blanks and have built on St Croix, United Composites, MHX, Phenix, CTS and Lamiglass blanks. As a personal preference, I like to build a rod for a specific reel. I purchase the reel first, then decide what type of fish I will target, the line class of the reel etc. I will select the blank and then use the reel for colour scheme etc. You guys are spoilt for choice for rod building suppliers and most of my business comes to the USA.

My wife and I have recently had our first child, 6 months old. That has slowed down the rod building and fishing a little. We are just entering our summer again and the bub has started coming out with us in the boat, so boating is still fairly frequent.

About 12 months ago, my wife and I travelled aorund the USA stopping at places like New York, Miami, a cruise around the Carribean, Las Vegas, LA and San Francisco. I did some charter fishhing whilst in the Carribean and San Francisco. (didn't catch much though)

I hope to be able to actively participate in the forum with some of the learnings I've discovered through trial and error. I also enjoy reading about the different fishing styles, techniques and targets that people in the USA are adopting. I must admit, I find it hard trying to keep up with the different 'lingo' people use, there seems to be a name, a style for everything. I'm sure I will pick it up.

Regards Adam

post-64078-14230760311251_thumb.jpg

post-64078-14230760311693_thumb.jpg

post-64078-14230760311926_thumb.jpg

Hello Adam and welcome, Good to have mates from the other side of earth on here. Congrats on the new bub ! ask whatever you bugs you and someone I hope will have an answer!

We here in the USA have it pretty good with suppliers but.. I envy your weather, fishing and your wonderful Toyota 79 Land Cruisers and Nissan Patrols and some of the other wonderful things you have down under. Oh and your lingo is ... intresting as well!! Well again welcome and ask away!!

Yes, welcome to the site Adam. Australia is an amazing country and has some of the most incredible and diversified wildlife and fish to be found anywhere, The great barrier reef and the Spencer Gulf were two of my favorite locations when i was there. Big Whites come and go through the latter::scared:. I'll be looking foward to your contributions::th: