How did you get Diabetes? could you have prevented it?

Rate this topic

crazybellringer

I was wondering how some of you guys got Diabetes. It's come to my attention that i am on the wrong path and if i don't make a change this could be my fate. I eat like crap love candy, soda beer, sugar, bacon and any thing unhealthy. At this point i am about 10 pounds over weight but i have that undercontrol for now. Once i stop exercising i feel like i might be in for a real surprise. think of this as your chance to help me get on the right track.

think of this as your chance to help me get on the right track.

Only you can do that. You already know the crap you eat isn't healthy, what are you going to do about it?

fishinambition  Posted June 30 ·After a decade and a half of trolling and disrupting the website, frank's finally fed up with Tim's bull****

It's really hard to make the change i always had the excuse i exercise 4 times a week i will be fine. now i see the light. I was hoping some people would give me the extra motivation

You may make the change when you end up with diabetes. It would be best to do it before you get that far.

My Dad had Diabetes because he too ate too much candy and breads/pastas/potatoes/chips. He is overweight ,and once he found out he had Diabetes he did something about it. Changed his diet for the most part, and the great news, he is now off the meds they had him taking and has his blood sugar under control. He's still over weight, but is going GREAT! I was on my way there too, and I made the change.

Quote:Originally Posted by BranfordJeffYou're a great addition to SOL and singlehandedly may save the class of 09 from being a failure

I was wondering how some of you guys got Diabetes. It's come to my attention that i am on the wrong path and if i don't make a change this could be my fate. I eat like crap love candy, soda beer, sugar, bacon and any thing unhealthy. At this point i am about 10 pounds over weight but i have that undercontrol for now. Once i stop exercising i feel like i might be in for a real surprise. think of this as your chance to help me get on the right track.

You say you are about 10 pounds over weight. By whose standards?

"We aren't At Large, we're just avoiding the police.."

There are two types. Type one, or juvenile diabetes, is an immune systems screw up. The body thinks that the pancreas is evil and does it's best to destroy it. Once the islets of Langerhans are dead, one no longer produces insulin and has to take bottled insulin to survive.

type two, or late onset diabetes is more common in older or heavier individuals. This where the body still creates it's own insulin, but other factors disable the insulin's function as catalyst for the absorption of sugar into the body's tissues. This is akin to the worsening of eyesight and intelligence we experience as we age. There are drugs that can help this, but often diet changes and exercise can eliminate or diminish the problem.

Many who have type two diabetes end up using the normal medicines for it and also taking insulin.

I wouldn't worry too much about ten pounds, as long as you still fit in your pants. But eating junk food will set a bad example for your kids. Let them eat the chips and cookies and leave you the celery sticks. :laugh:

.........Elvis lives....2020

My father got it later in life as did I. I knew something was wrong when I was thirsty all the time and I was constantly taking a leak. Turned out my cholesterol was over 400 and triglycerides over 2000. Been taking metformin for 3-4 years and watching carbs and my A1C is still under 7, cholesterol 175, but triglycerides still over 200, they've been high all my life. Was taking Tricor for the triglycerides but the price kept going up, so I'm taking Lopid now. I have lost 50 lbs., in short watch what you eat and get exercise. I used to eat candy a lot, but not much anymore. Too much of a spike in blood sugar.

It's really hard to make the change i always had the excuse i exercise 4 times a week i will be fine. now i see the light. I was hoping some people would give me the extra motivation

Nobody but yourself can give you that "extra motivation". We can help and encourage you, but only you can do it. The food you say you eat is not good. Get yourself a diabetic daily menu and follow it. All it is is good food in moderation. The foods you eat aren't going to give you diabetes but they will hurt you in many other ways such as high colesterol, high blood pressure, heart desease, etc, etc, etc. By eating healthy, well balanced food you improve your odds of not getting one of the many desease that kill us. You already know this, time to **** or get off the pot. ;)

fishinambition  Posted June 30 ·After a decade and a half of trolling and disrupting the website, frank's finally fed up with Tim's bull****