Favorite Striper Recipes?

Rate this topic

jjdbike

Towards the end of last summer, my new fav was in fish tacos.

I marinaded the fish in Vietnamese chili sauce, grated ginger and lime juice, then grilled it off over charcoal.

Served it in a soft flour taco shell, with a couple small wedges of avacado, some thinly sliced jicama (optional for crunch) fresh tomato, shredded lettuce, red onion, topped with a sour cream chipotle aioli sauce.

The Sultan of Sluggo

Towards the end of last summer, my new fav was in fish tacos.

I marinaded the fish in Vietnamese chili sauce, grated ginger and lime juice, then grilled it off over charcoal.

Served it in a soft flour taco shell, with a couple small wedges of avacado, some thinly sliced jicama (optional for crunch) fresh tomato, shredded lettuce, red onion, topped with a sour cream chipotle aioli sauce.

Literally made these about 4 hours ago. By far my favorite way to eat striper.

(*member formerly know as 'MD9NYC')

Thanks bob & Dooley. It sounds great! About that Vietnamese chili sauce, how hot is it & is it available at most supermarkets or do I need to go to a specialty store?

Does anyone have any recipes using tomatoe sauce?

How about grilled?

JD

The Vietnamese chili sauce is mildly hot, very sweet dipping sauce used primarily for spring or fresh rolls. However, it makes a great marinade due to it's high sugar content, and carmalizes nicely over the coals. Any Vietnamese market will have an entire aisle of it as it's a staple.

The Sultan of Sluggo

I made a mustard crusted salmon the other night that was great. It was dijon mustard, half a juice/zest of a lemon and black strap molasses. Marinated it for a few then seared it in a non stick pan that had very little oil on the mustard side til a crust formed and cooked it the rest of the way on the skin side. I would have liked to finish it in the oven but my oven needed some cleaning.

Last night I made "mediterranean style" cod, but it would certainly work for striper. I used one good sized (2 lbs +/-) cod filet that I cut to fit fairly tightly in a baking/casserole dish. Place fish in dish skin side down. I always keep the skin on cod & haddock filets - makes a big difference in flavor and moisture.

Sauce:

2 tbls Olive oil

1/2 onion diced

3-4 cloves garlic finely sliced

1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives

1 tbls finely chopped pickled jalapeño slices

2 tbls capers

1/2 lemon, juiced

1 tsp coriander

1 tsp cumin

1 tsp turmeric

1 tsp oregano

1 can (16 ounces) diced tomatoes

Salt & pepper

Sauté onions in the olive oil till soft, add garlic and continue till garlic is soft. Add remaining ingredients, stir and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes till liquid is somewhat reduced. Salt (or not as the capers and olives can be salty) and pepper fish in baking dish, then cover completely with sauce. Bake uncovered at 350 for about 15 to 20 minutes and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve over rice/ couscous/ quinoa.

"My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention."
Hedley Lamar
"It wasn't the bullet that laid him to rest, was the low spark of high-heeled boys"
Jim Capaldi & Steve Winwood

panko breaded and fried.

take some panko and parsley, salt, pepper, and garlic powder and mix up in a blender or processor. Put it in a bowl

Crack an egg and put it in a second bowl

Flour into a third bowl.

Cast iron skillet medium high heat with oil of your choice (i use olive).

Coat the fish in flour, then egg wash, then panko, into the oil. Flip after 4 mins.

Simple and unbelievably good.

Got good cards, but the wrong man's dealin'.

panko breaded and fried.

take some panko and parsley, salt, pepper, and garlic powder and mix up in a blender or processor. Put it in a bowl

Crack an egg and put it in a second bowl

Flour into a third bowl.

Cast iron skillet medium high heat with oil of your choice (i use olive).

Coat the fish in flour, then egg wash, then panko, into the oil. Flip after 4 mins.

Simple and unbelievably good.

"Panko breadcrumbs have a coarser texture than ordinary breadcrumbs, and they make for a much lighter and crunchier topping and coating for deep-fried foods. They're especially good for breading seafood."

What's the point of putting panko crumbs in a food processor? Might as well just use plain crumbs. Leaving the pankos "as is" is what gives the extra crispiness which is really the point of using the pankos IMHO

WJ - you should try it just mixing the pankos & seasonings with a fork or, I usually put the seasonings in the flour. That way, the seasonings are "sealed in" to the fish by the egg wash so that they don't burn in the hot oil. Coat with plain "as is" pankos & fry.

"My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention."
Hedley Lamar
"It wasn't the bullet that laid him to rest, was the low spark of high-heeled boys"
Jim Capaldi & Steve Winwood

I love fried fish but for some reason never thought of frying striper. I fry freshwater trout,smelt, coakers, cod, haddock but never striper or blues.I like the texture more baked, broiled or grilled. I will give it a shot though. Definitaly goint to try that "mediterranean style" cod & striper Peter!

Thanks!

JD