Assateague VA proposed shut down.

Rate this topic

Jason B

I have heard they have been thinking of closing beach access to Assateague from Chincoteague for a while but I have never really thought they would actually do it. Essentially they are planning on shutting down Assateague in VA to a trickling shuttle by no longer allowing cars. They can't be serious about it. It would kill the community. It is a great town but without the beach access businesses are dead. The town is already barely skimping by. Nobody is going to go to the beach with beach chairs, towels and surf boards, let alone 1 piece 12' rods on a damn shuttle! The funny thing is, this is after Chincoteague was just name the most family friendly beach on the Eastern Shore (that is a three state boasting right for you Northerners not familiar with the E.S.). The governments pipe dream appeasement of potentially new parking will most likely will never materialize for further regulations will be imposed and should be taken with a very suspicious grain of salt.

Can somebody more informed/local explain if this is actually going to happen, and what is really behind this move. I hate to ask, but are birders also behind this one? Because if they are, I have a pair of Swarovski's that I occasionally use to watch birds that I would gladly give up to chuck at the next Barbour-jacket-wearing, Tilley-Hat-sporting twitt I see looking up!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/chincoteague-fears-plan-to-move-beach-will-drive-away-tourists-hurt-economy/2011/11/18/gIQAZTGt2N_story.html

Sorry to post this to main forum and not the regional Delmarva one, but I know several of you northern guys come down to Chincoteague for an economical nature-escape vacation during the summer and thought you should know what might happen.

"It's the weekend, I don't know you, you don't exist to me." The Hangover