Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Big Moose

mini needle fish plugs

Rate this topic

1 post in this topic

I own a store hit hard by the economy and sometimes spend my time making rigs or servicing my rods/reels when there are no customers. I ended up with a bunch of these counter pens for signing credit receipts. They have a bead chain that comes out easily,are 5 1/4 inches long and 3/8 inch in diameter. I was bored one day, took one apart and colored it with markers in mackeral pattern and others with gradiants of color light to dark. pens are hard plastic, have a good wall thickness, screw in half and are silver grey colored, which had me thinking the color would be a good belly color. so I masked them with scotch tape and started coloring. When I am done I will assemble with stainless thru wire, 5/0 tail hook with bucktail dressing, load with shot to get weight I want. I figure I can use some crazy glue or epoxy to keep weight in belly so they ride right, glue and screw halves together and finish wrapping the wire at nose. The sharpie markers work well and the "paint job has a slight metalic sheen from the backgroung color of pen. I will seal them with spray clearcoat made for plastics I think these would work good with eel fly teasers using the homemade plug as the cast weght. I have already disassembled and "painted several of these. Makes me wish I had an outlet to buy raw pens before they are assembled.

Has anyone else ever tried using discarded or converted items to make plugs? I can't help but think of the chair spindels I have seen that are shaped exactly like a lot of the wood plugs that Gibbs and others manufactured. Every time I see a chair on trash day with nicely turned spindles I am tempted to pick them up. Years ago I made a few plugs from discarded furniture/tools. On one outing at east end of canal over twenty years ago, Three of us on My Dad's boat were having no luck. I tied on a piece of shovel handle I had turned into a popper and proceeded to get the only fish of the day. I had painted it with red and blacks sharpies and clear coated it.