Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gadabout

Oops!!! Penn 1/0 help

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I had just finished a total overhaul of the Penn 1/0 Senator that I picked up at a flea market when the reel slipped out of my greasy hands and landed on the cement floor. Picking it up I found some road rash on the upper edge of the tail plate's chrome ring. Nothing worse than that. The only problem is that now there is some binding when the spool turns. I tried loosening and retightening the tail plate screws, but I can't get the binding to dissappear unless I Ioosen the bearing cap to the point where there is a lot of sideplay. Nothing appears obviously bent or misaligned. Any ideas?

501 jigmaster same size if you have a spool for a 501you could check and see if its bent. Put an aluminum spool and cobontex drags in that reel the 1/0 is a beast for tog and other game fish in the northeast :)

I'm thinking the frame got bent. My guess it's binding in the area where your scuff mark are. Can you eyeball the area and see if there is less clearance between the spool and frame in the hit area? 

To test the spool get a couple of pieces of wood and drill a hole in each piece, for the spool axle. Insert your spool ends into each hole to see if the spool turns true. 

Thanks guys. So far, I've found nothing conclusive. I tried the blocks of wood to check the trueness, but there is nothing obvious. After assembing the reel again, I was able to get the spool to run without binding with maybe 1/32" of sideplay. Not too bad, but probably not right either.