Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NealD

Smelt

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

Tried my luck over the past few days at Nut Island. Fish were there at night, but not exactly thick...and on the small size, did manage a few for the pan. It appears to be more of a night bite than day, but the mild temps made it manageable after dark.

I had not fished for smelt since childhood, some 30 years ago, and they were not as plentiful this past weekend as my childhood days, but fun none the less. Its worth noting that I consider myself a decent fisherman and was getting out-fished 3 to 1 by others nearby. Location near the lights seemed to help, but light gear and technique make a big difference with such subtle bites. I don't remember having to pay such close attention to hook sets, but that was certainly the case here.

Does anyone know how long they stick around these waters? Anyone seen decent day bite? I would like to take the kids, but the combination of night time, temperature, infrequent bites and attention to hook-set have me thinking not a good idea.

Please share what you can or PM if you have more specific details I might be missing.

I have tried that spot during the day,actually on this past saturday and no such luck at all,not a bite.I fished A street pier in Hull on saturday night and found fish but they were small and not too many.I am not sure how long they stick around.