Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
robc22

Quality Shellfishing

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

wow. look how clean that oyster drag came up! that's amazing.

and i wonder how many guys can tell me what's going on in that last picture. that is a lost art if i've ever seen it!

nice pics rob.

and i wonder how many guys can tell me what's going on in that last picture. that is a lost art if i've ever seen it!

nice pics rob.

Tonging.

nice pics rob.

Tonging.

oh you meanTOUNGING,,, FOR SHELLFISH,, like we did in canada for oysters, clams, quohogs,,,,

Guys used to tong just outside of the Westport river inlet years ago. Funny thing many towns do not allow tonging.

:confused: ??? really? probably one of the most primative forms of digging shellfish. can't understand that one. and one more thing, it ain't easy! bullraking is MUCH easier.

There is a guy in falmouth that still does it once in a while.

hey steve. nice to see you on here. i got your PM and will reply soon. as for the tonguing, there was an old timer who fished in bourne for many years only using tongues. it amazed me how efficient he was. this man fished into his 80's and still put a couple of bushels in the boat daily. it is a definite art form which can only be perfected over time, however, it can be very efficient once it is mastered.

my dad has picked up a few really old tongue heads at yard sales over the past few years. pretty neat to see how things evolve in the trade.

hey steve. nice to see you on here. i got your PM and will reply soon. as for the tonguing, there was an old timer who fished in bourne for many years only using tongues. it amazed me how efficient he was. this man fished into his 80's and still put a couple of bushels in the boat daily. it is a definite art form which can only be perfected over time, however, it can be very efficient once it is mastered.

my dad has picked up a few really old tongue heads at yard sales over the past few years. pretty neat to see how things evolve in the trade.

You wouldn't be talking about Gaylon Barlow would you?