Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John D

Any Masons/Chimney guys out there?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I have a masonry chimney (natural gas fireplace on inside, brick oven on the outside), that keeps leaking every significant rainstorm. The source of the water has been confirmed to come from the apex crown up top (flashing, brick sides, flues etc, are all fine). The crown keeps peeling, cracking despite 3 applications of either sealant or new concrete over the past 3 months. I suspect the contractor may have reapplied the crown incorrectly, and/or did it when it was too much moisture. Regardless, the corwn keeps peeling, cracking and now they not want to put a stainless steel chase cover on it.

My question is, I thought you did not put chase covers on masonry chimneys? What are the concerns about using a stainless steel chase cover here? If the concern is just cosmetic, I just want my inside fireplace to stop leaking. Should I resist this and find a better contractor to attempt, a 4th time, to reapply the apex crown with concrete/sealant?

Thanks,

John

I have a masonry chimney (natural gas fireplace on inside, brick oven on the outside), that keeps leaking every significant rainstorm. The source of the water has been confirmed to come from the apex crown up top (flashing, brick sides, flues etc, are all fine). The crown keeps peeling, cracking despite 3 applications of either sealant or new concrete over the past 3 months. I suspect the contractor may have reapplied the crown incorrectly, and/or did it when it was too much moisture. Regardless, the corwn keeps peeling, cracking and now they not want to put a stainless steel chase cover on it.

My question is, I thought you did not put chase covers on masonry chimneys? What are the concerns about using a stainless steel chase cover here? If the concern is just cosmetic, I just want my inside fireplace to stop leaking. Should I resist this and find a better contractor to attempt, a 4th time, to reapply the apex crown with concrete/sealant?

Thanks,

John

Do you mean one of these?

Thanks,

John

the reason crown's crack on top of chimney could be for several reasons, the first one is because the crown is always done incorrectly, it's hard to explain, usually there isn't enough mortar on top, moisture is getting in and freezing and expanding cracking the cement, when it was re-crowned was all the old crown taken off to the old bricks, etc etc,

Thanks, but can anyone reply as to why some experts prefer not to use a stainless steel chase cover on a masonry chimney?

also, and this is just my opinion but why would want to cover a masonary chimney with a stainless steel cover, IMO a copper one would look alot nicer and it will age and not be as noticeable as the stainless,

Hey John D

I was wondering if you could get some pics of all exposed chiminey outside and the top so i can see what is being done up there if that is possible.

And also mabye shots of the areas where its leaking?

I was a brick layer here on Nantucket for 20yrs and one thing we had to really pay attention to was building them for high winds and rain, meaning the leads where put closer together and concrete tops had to be thicker and well tended to after put in place like keeping covered and damp when hot humid days or winter keep well insaleted and heat on them so they would not freeze.Also I would try to convince them it should be waterproofed once a yr. On nantucket the salt air would destroy all the morter joints then start deteriating.

But I ask for pics becouse it sounds like based on how bad she leaks I think its leaking from other areas also? Thats why i would like to see area thats leaking . What was it they did to confirm that it was only leaking from the cap?