Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rich Girvin

Nauset whale?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

The wife and I were walking Nauset beach in Orleans on Saturday afternoon. We were watching gannets dive bombing bait off shore. About 200 feet off the beach right in front of us a large marine mamal of some kind broke the surface. We followed the critter up the beach a ways. It was moving along faster than we could walk but we watched it breach the surface several times. We never saw the head or tail. Only the back and dorsal fin. It appeared to be black and 6 to 10 feet long. The last sighting made us think it was headed to deeper water. Anyone have an idea as to what this might have been?

The pilot whales have been working along the surfline for the last two weeks from Truro down to Orleans.I was walking the high ridgelines between Ballston and Newcombs Hollow and had a lookdown at them following the bait and gannetts.Also a pod of Dolphins were alittle further out running the outer bars.Monday walking Nauset south to trail 5 they were breaching betewwn the broken bars and scooting in theoutflows at the bottom of the tide between trail 3&4 mostly.Never have seen so many in this close.Pretty cool.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonFrum View Post

Old postcard.

This was not uncommon from what I've read and back in the day , 40s, 50s, even, they brought them to New Bedford where they were processed for the oil.

Its in one of the books abou t cape fishing

So.....one day there is a bunch of 6 and 7th generation wellfleet commercial fishermen shooting the breeze on the docks..........Little miss pretty Greenpeace shows up and asks" oh, won't you come help with the beached whales?".....the Fishermen reply " we would miss but our food freezers are full"............

Those blackfish have been beaching themselves for a long, long time and the local folks and the native americans historically have made the best of that particular situation.............

I personally haven't seen any whales recently at Nauset but I have seen numerous dolphins and yes, ganets everwhere.

Park your butt on the bench that faces the beach at the end of the trail off the parking lot with binoculars in hand and wait,

Always something happening if you wait long enough.

If you have binoculars you can as a rule see them about a half mile off shore working with birds and other fish. I generally wear my pfd when fishing out there just in case one wants to scratchy it's back on the bottom of my yacht

Thanks for the replies. Over the years we have seen whales well off shore (or spouts at least). We had never seen one just beyond the surf line. The last photo posted by Geety with the back and dorsal fin out of the water shows just about what we saw last weekend.

Thanks for the replies. Over the years we have seen whales well off shore (or spouts at least). We had never seen one just beyond the surf line. The last photo posted by Geety with the back and dorsal fin out of the water shows just about what we saw last weekend.

This was up at Plum Island in October 07. The whale actually made 2 passes at the beach. I got my camera out and this is its second pass. The photos are a little out of order. The last one shows the whale passing across from me. Then, it turned and came right toward me. I had this vision like on the Discovery channel when killer whales grab seals right on the shore. I didn't know whether to run or pee my pants. It came and turned about 15 feet from me and swam away. I never saw its head or tail but the part I did see was about 12 to 15 feet long. Kay at Surfland thought it was a Minke whale. The rest of the fishing trip was kind of boring after that.

May years ago(15-25)my honey and I where taking a drive down the beach just for the ride. The tide was out and right thee in about 6-8' of water was a fin with the top of the tail about nine ft. away and as the swells came in we could see the shadow of the front end about approx another nine feet from the back of the dorsal fin. There where three sharks. One as close to the shore as possible, a second about six or eight hundred ft. out. and a third shark about six or eight hundred feet to the southard.

Finally we drove past and spoke with a beach buggy guy(Sal. Pamenta) who said that earlier a couple of seals moved through the wash like jet skis because of the sharks.

Later on spoke with Deputy Chief Love who said that they were twenty footers and that where being watched from Montauk,N.Y.

Not whales but a little excitement