Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
allen sklar

New Jersey Yesterday

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

I guess Jersey is all about their BLING. Just about every other guy has an $800 reel.

Some day I want to catch a 30+ on an artificial but I don't want the experience to be ruined by it going down in a crowd like that.

Springer, It is a completely different world over there compared to what we see along the DE coastline. Fishing is much better and has much greater diversity in the manner which they fish. My bet is most if not all of those guys in that pic on Saturday caught more quality fish that day than 80% of the surf fishermen in DE catch in a year. It is truthfully just that much better over there more times than not than our Delaware coastline. If you have not fished the fall run over there you need to. That pic is a very rare exception .... the average night over in the spring fling zone you might see a half a dozen on foot fishermen across 3+ miles of beach. It is mostly a night time game there with loads of available structure to fish that seem to nearly all hold various forms of bait.

Any location up and down the Atlantic coast that has a "epic" blitz going on will draw the heavy crowds whether it is Montauk, Martha's Vineyard, Sandy Hook, IBSP, or for that matter the Point at Hatteras. It is just the nature of the beast and the technological age we live in. If DE had a blitz like the one they had Saturday in Jersey it would look just the same.

I would not fish a scene like the one pictured myself but I would of moved up or down the beach for the stragglers. ;) A two handed fly guy in that mess might get shot.....

Soon comming to a beach near YOU.............

all us locals hope so.... but they stay off shore after cape may.... least in the last few years they have.... depends on where the bait goes.

Come on steve... you would just cast over them, just carry a braid cutter and it would be fine :D

can you imagine?

No...never ever ever could I imagine participating in anything resembling "that". I cannot even imagine a sane person wanting/needing a fish bad enough to do that. Ah, never mind. I got more but I'm gonna bite my tongue on this one...

Where does sanity come into play here........?

And they thought the March On Wall St. was somtin'.................they don't call it The Fall Run for nottin'.........

Lou says they were about 10 to 20 feet apart, the telephoto lens has compressed the density of the fishermen, but still can you imagine?

All due respect, Maybe in some spots 10-20 feet but in other spots where guys are hooked up and fighting fish, - it is all made tighter quicker by the muggers who are driving up and down the beach and then get out of their vehicles and cast over the guys fighting fish when they see them. I was there Friday and Saturday. It is an exercise in turning the other cheek while focusing on your own cast and fighting the fish. Off the hook epic though, Legendary - Future Grandchildren will get told about the last three weeks.

II fished jersey for four days straight this past week and it was crowded as hell but worth every elbow nudge. It was epic. it is hard to call it spot burning anymore because every jersey guy is whining how fishing his BLITZ is so hard because it is so crowded on every other Jersey Forum thread. But I tell you, despite the crowds, and their reputation, I only encountered jersey guys who followed the rules for respectful fishing. I hate to say it, but it sure beat the dog fish I caught fishing AI for three days two weeks ago.

" But I tell you, despite the crowds, and their reputation, I only encountered jersey guys who followed the rules for respectful fishing. I hate to say it, but it sure beat the dog fish I caught fishing AI for three days two weeks ago.

Agreed. I was up there black Friday and sure it was crowded but everyone was very respectful. Guys cleared lines for big fish to be landed and no problems with crossing or casting over others heads where I was at. I'm sure it helps when everyone is hooking up though. A lot of shad too. Only thing missing was some big blues mixed in. It's going to be tough sitting on AI the rest of the fall hoping your the guy that hooks into the one fish that swims by that day.