Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tmirrione63

mojo 10';6 3/4 to 4

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

You can do whatever you want with it and of course it will be very good in some areas(plugging) and not the best choice in others (bucktailing) although it can and is used to do both. Asking one rod to be a great buck rod and plug rod is asking a lot, what kind of fishing and offerings do you throw the most is the question that will help a great deal.

Asking one rod to be a great buck rod and plug rod is asking a lot,...

Really? I don't have a ton of experience with many other models, but isn't the Lamiglas GSB blank (aka Surf & Jetty) just that?

Really? I don't have a ton of experience with many other models, but isn't the Lamiglas GSB blank (aka Surf & Jetty) just that?

Most of the Surf and Jettys are much to soft to be a great buck rod, as they lack the stiffness and faster response that is often needed.

The vast majority of bucks when jigged the traditional way are wacked on the drop, and a stiffer and faster rod makes it easier to hit the fish as soon as you feel the take, if you don't hit him instantly you can forget it.(also depends on the fish of course).

And a much more moderate rod (on many occasions)will also lack the instant feedback which is required at times. A slowed response from a rod is counterproductive when fishing bucks(but not always) .

Many times you need constant feedback during the whole process, a very moderate type of rod (although perfect for plugging) lacks the stiffness and feel that a great bucktail rod often possesses.

It is also believed( for the most part) that a great bucktail rod makes a poor plugger

Can you use bucktails with this rod?..what cant you do with this rod and what can you do with it?

I use it for bucktails all the time. Short of tossing 8+ bait there isn't much this rod can't do. Some prefer a stiffer rod for bucktailing, I really don't see the benefit.

Throwing 3.5+ oz with it you'd be better served with a 2-6 or the 11' but doesn't mean you can't manage it with the 3/4-4. I've fished 5+ heads with it and put decent fish on the sand in the 20-30lb range. I've tossed full size bunker (12+ oz) with it a good 30-40 yards. I've sent 2 3/8 oz Super Strikes to 135 yards with it and # 4 deadly dick to 140+. It's a very versatile rod.

With this rod throwing a bucktail requires that I don't lift it more than 50 degrees and lower the rod as I reel in the slack. This way you're always in touch and ready to pounce. Being strict about this is really more important on the high and low weights. It's really how I would retrieve a jig with any rod. A stiffer rod would allow for a shorter hook set stroke with the downside being that for lighter jigs the more limber rod allows me to cast better and stay in contact easier.

With this rod throwing a bucktail requires that I don't lift it more than 50 degrees and lower the rod as I reel in the slack. This way you're always in touch and ready to pounce. Being strict about this is really more important on the high and low weights. It's really how I would retrieve a jig with any rod. A stiffer rod would allow for a shorter hook set stroke with the downside being that for lighter jigs the more limber rod allows me to cast better and stay in contact easier.

You make a good point , and actual conditions and species has a major impact on what rod action works best. For inlet fishing with stronger than normal current flow, which is where i fish the most, i just can't see how a soft moderate rod has any advantage, as super light offerings rarely provide the weight needed to get down to where they will have an impact.

Like my first post stated " you can use a rod effectively for anything, but it does not mean that it's the best type of rod for the job) and imo rods that are stiffer and have faster characteristics are far better for bucks than very moderate slower acting rods.

But i respect everybodys take on the subject because in the end it's all personal preference, and thats the way it should be, this site would be terribly boring if everyone agreed on every issue, nothing wrong with a little :bonk: and :argue: as long as it's in good fun and does not lead to somebody getting :upck: upon, as this will lead to one very unhappy :( camper and that would not be good.

I am doing what i said i didn't like to do, post when severely sleep deprived, my ramblings above are clear giveaways ,Tim has developed a masterpiece that i'm powerless over. Dang:(

I have a 10' 6" 3/4 TO 4 mojo and find it great for bucktails 1oz. And under, and plugs up to 2 maybe 2 1/2 oz. Any heavier bucks you might be better off with the 2 to 6 oz. Mojo.

That was caught using the 3/4-4. Its not bad, but the the 2-6 is better for Riggies in my opinion. You have to lob it with med sized riggies similiar to throwing GRS, but the 2-6 lets you lean into the cast more.

Agreed, talking through it here with the benefit of varying experiences and ways of explaining things can be super helpful.

Unfortunately typing brief answers to wide open questions while trying to cover years of experience makes it tough.

To your point, having rods that overlap the spectrum is a great alternative strategy.

[/u]

You make a good point , and actual conditions and species has a major impact on what rod action works best. For inlet fishing with stronger than normal current flow, which is where i fish the most, i just can't see how a soft moderate rod has any advantage, as super light offerings rarely provide the weight needed to get down to where they will have an impact.

Like my first post stated " you can use a rod effectively for anything, but it does not mean that it's the best type of rod for the job) and imo rods that are stiffer and have faster characteristics are far better for bucks than very moderate slower acting rods.

But i respect everybodys take on the subject because in the end it's all personal preference, and thats the way it should be, this site would be terribly boring if everyone agreed on every issue, nothing wrong with a little :bonk: and :argue: as long as it's in good fun and does not lead to somebody getting :upck: upon, as this will lead to one very unhappy :( camper and that would not be good.

I am doing what i said i didn't like to do, post when severely sleep deprived, my ramblings above are clear giveaways ,Tim has developed a masterpiece that i'm powerless over. Dang:(