Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RegDunlop

Surfers while fishing

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

What do you do when a surfer enters the water right in front of where you are fishing / plugging?

Would like to hear from Fla fishermen, where I hear there are no problems between the surfers and fishermen, but everybody can answer please just say where you are from in your response. .

I had to respond to this because it's a cause of my blood pressure rocketing through the roof. I mostly fish the inlets at night, but when i fish off my dock on the Intercoastal waterway i am convinced that the vast majority of boaters , jet skiers, kayakers you name it, desperately need an appointment at the local optometrist.

It's that bad, i have avoided fishing the Intercoastal this past year because of numerous cutoffs and it's not just vacationers it's locals, they truly seem to not give a damn.

I catch a good amount of flounder(southern) right next to the dock pilings but i can only get away with it before 7:30am because the people(even if they see you fishing )will come right under and many times into your line.I only fish the dock from 4:30 to about 7:30 am because of it.

When i get to the inlets during late afternoon to scout out the beach before nightfall ,there are bathers by the boatload who actually swim in the inlets:shock::shock: it's absolutely mind boggling to me, and there are fisherman setup along the inlet but it makes no difference at all.

And this inlet has a good amount of traffic, there are lot's of King Mackeral tournaments with most boats packing serious horsepower , a three pack of 300's, is standard fare, and these things fly.

When i see these people swimming in the middle of the inlet i have to do a double take because at times i was convinced i was hallucinating.

It takes a lot for me to get to the point where i say something, but it's coming .:(:(

Yell "SHARK" :laugh

:300

I really think its just a matter of time before a surfer or more likely a skisher is attacked out at Montauk , with the rising seal population , getting in a seal suit and attaching distressed fish to your body .... :kook:

Yell "SHARK" :laugh

:300

or in this case... "DOLPHIN" :)

anyway, I'll keep fishing. if they want to swim around my hooks, so be it. i've still caught fish with people surfing/swimming near me. normally I have no problems.

Thank god I fish 95% of the time at night. It was not long ago that I would not hesitate to continue to throw whatever I tied on in the exact location I was fishing before a surfer showed up. I am not shy and would always state I was there first and had not intention of moving hoping that clear communication would help.. feeling I clearly stated my intention I went back to fishing. On one occasion I put a treble into a young mans foot. on another I cast significantly left of a surfer but a large blue ran past him with a lot of fire line and cut him up bad. The second guy and I got into it on the beach. And he got hurt pretty bad.

Now I will simply move because being right doesn't mean I'm not going to end up hurting someone again, and I don't need to lay my hands on anyone while I'm trying to relax. I was not proud of my actions but I was not ashamed either so again , now, I simply move.

or in this case... "DOLPHIN" :)

anyway, I'll keep fishing. if they want to swim around my hooks, so be it. i've still caught fish with people surfing/swimming near me. normally I have no problems.

Good call on Flipper, Lets pretend it's a killer shark it's more entertaining. They swim past my dock all the time, last year i was livelining a small blue and didn't notice them until my drag started screaming , but he cut me off immediately, it swallowed the blue and leaped out of the water within a few yards of the dock, i almost had a heart attack. It's fun watching them round up schools of red drum at dusk and early in the mornings when the Intercoastal is glass smooth , they really make a commotion by smacking their tails on the surface. :th::th:

I keep fishing.

the whipping sound and the splashing of terminal tackle near where they are is a very effective reminder that I've been fishing on that spot for 4 hours before they arrived.

so far, none of them have been ignorant enough to ignore that obvious hint.