Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
catherine1234

Looking to buy a kayak for my boyfriend for christmas

17 posts in this topic

I have been thinking about buying a kayak for my boyfriend for christmas.  He is OBSESSED with salt water fishing and would love it if I got him one for christmas, the only problem being, I know nothing about kayak's.  We live in northern jersey and he also owns a small car with a roof rack.  I don't want to spend too much money on this, so maybe I can find a used kayak or a good deal on a newer one. Any suggestions? Please help mesmile.gif

you could check craigslist or some of the forums for a good used one.

There are a ton of different fishing kayaks out there...

Ocean Kayak Prowlers or Tridents are good

Malibu makes some good ones also.....Stealth or X-Factor

Just a couple that come to mind

Hobies are awesome fishing kayaks...but even a used one is usually pretty pricey..especially if it comes with the drive system.

Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game, Tarpon 120, Malibu X-factor are all great kayaks. They vary in length, width, and storage, but they are all good. The big game would be my first choice. Some people will say you have to be big for the big game and x-factor, but I'm not a big guy and I could handle them just fine.

all really good suggestions above.....

I have done allot of research on pretty much all the mentioned above kayaks.....I already have a Hobie Outback that I use for fishing the inlets and stuff like that.  But I have been looking for another one so I can go out farther into the ocean and will cut through the waves.

The ones that I settled on are these.

Ocean Kayak Prowler or Trident 14...they both have great features.....but are a little skinnier than the malibu on my list

Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7 (these are new models..doubt you will find one used)

Malibu Stealth 14.....this has great features also....has a built in casting deck..and a live well right between your legs.  It is also a touch wider than the Ocean Kayaks.  It may not track as well as the OK's though.

I think I would be happy with any one of those kayaks.

I think you could find a used Ocean Kayak for a good deal....I have not seen allot of the Malibu's for sale used.

Awesome Christmas Gift I have to say also!!

Great gift idea Catherine and happy holidays to you. This will open a whole new world to your man and he'll be exposed to the darkside. We often say to the new guys elated with their first SB in the yak, "Welcome to the darkside". Another quote/saying is "with great power comes great responsibility", that being said, make sure you allow in your budget a really good PFD. Make it a point that he always wears it on the water, you'll have peace of mind knowing he's got it on. As far as the post is concerned, my vote is for a used Ocean Kayak Prowler 13. I hope he reciprocates on your next birthday in same or of an equally cherrished gift. Have fun, be safe and catch some fish. :p

Heck of a gift. I'll second the idea of a comfortable PFD (lifejacket) first & foremost. Consider getting a Sit On Top (SOT) kayak as they are easiest from which to fish. If he hopes to use it on the oceanfront, I'd suggest a yak at least 12' long with 13' to 14' best.

On a side note, we yakkers always say, "Try before you buy". Most first time buyers don't. If they use it often, they wind up selling it and buying another model more suited for where they fish. Partly because surfcasters often have an idea of where they'd like to fish with a yak which often isn't good/safe yak fishing waters.

If you'd like to avoid this, I'd suggest asking what most local yakkers paddle in waters near where your BF fishes.

There's nothing wrong with getting a starter yak and used ones fit this bill well. Some people decide after trying it that yakking is not for them.

Good luck. Give it a try, too. My wife is on her second yak.

Give us a little more info. Has he expressed interest in it, has he tried someone else' kayak. How tall a guy is he. Might help us steer you toward an affordable yak.

Weight? As long as he's not like 300#s, he should be fine with most sit-on-tops.

Right now on the North Jesery Craigslist there are a few Hobies (~$1100-$1200) and a couple of Ocean Kayaks ranging from $425 to $800 (latter with PFD and paddle). You might be better off waiting for the spring, than to rush. Give him a kayak ornament or a card basically as an IOU so you can both go shopping together & this way he can try them out...

good luck!

I Took the advice on buying from these guys and went in and sat in a bunch of them. I was going to buy the Tarpon 140 without sitting in it. After trying them all out, I got the Native Manta because it was the most comfortable to my "big boned" aka portly frame. The point is that it is like buying really expensive shoes without trying them on! Get him a killer fishing pfd and a coupon to take him out to lunch or something to find the right size!!!!!