Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TatonkaJames

Why rain gutters at all ?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Been thinking about this. A home near us has no rain gutters. Their roof shingles are rounded around the edges of the house where the gutters would be and under halfway to where the soffits are.

Asked if they had any water problems inside and they don't. Most will say it keeps the water from your foundation but when it rains, doesn't the rain drench the ground up to the foundation anyway ?

Especially a driving rain from any direction ? So what are the real purpose of rain gutters if shingles can be used ? Esthetically the house looks like a Hobbit dwelling.

Only thing I see is when it rains the water isn't falling like a waterfall off the roof, but that could be a nice thing to watch.

?????

All that water hitting the ground would eventually erode the soil away. It would also form large puddles in the lawn, or it would eventually erode a channel in the lawn.

Houses that don,t have gutters, have big overhangs so that the rain drops are away from the house. They have a stone border around the house , so that the soil won't erode away. They build them like that down south alot.

If your drain spouts just dump the water out at the foundation, then yes, the water does soak down into the ground. With gutters and drainspouts though, you can direct the water away from the foundation. I have a driveway at the side of my house, so I can run almost half of all the rain that lands on the roof out into the street. I live next door to a wetland, so basement flooding is an issue. A good rainfall can add up to thousands of gallons on your roof in a few hours, so it really matters. I also run flex pipe 10-15 feet out from the foundation. With no gutters, you'd need to bury a drainage system around the house if you have flooding issues.

I didn't put gutters on my house, they're more trouble than they're worth. Just put a band of landscaping fabric around the foundation and cover it with stone. As far as water in the foundation, unless your house is sitting in a blob of clay, you're not going to change the level of your groundwater very much by piping your roof runoff to another location. Running the shingles off the roof to form a rounded edge is not necessary. Just use standard drip edge and it works fine.

A good rainfall can add up to thousands of gallons on your roof in a few hours, so it really matters.

That's a lot of water, I had no idea how much falls in a few hours.

However, what I was getting at is, though it falls on the roof, it is also falling around the house, especially the side which the wind is directing it,

so water is drenching the ground either way.

They must help though when I see all the water flowing from them and the sump pumps to the street.

Guess I just can't stand cleaning them each year. I know they have those covers but shingles still lose their grit and other small debris gets

through to muck them up. But they do keep out leaves.

We did not have rain gutters on our NJ home for the first 50 years. Water ran off the roof and the ground was slanted away from the home. Placed a 1 foot wide row of 1 - 2inch pebbles in the area the water fell - Looked nice and no problems. Added a new roof two years ago and got talked into installing gutters by the roofer. Big mistake. I now have to clean the gutters and, worst of all, have a few water problems I never had. When will I learn to leave well enough alone!! Argh!!!!

Remember - If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The key thing with water coming off a roof is to get it to hit the ground away from your foundation. You can do it by (a) installing gutters and having the downspouts empty away from the house (or into a perimeter drain system), or (b) wide eaves (I think this only works well if you have a very simple roof design - intersecting planes concentrate the rain and will dig a hole in the ground where it lands). There are also some products out there that you can install at the edge of the roof that are supposed to disperse the water out (kind of like a ramp), which essentially converts a narrow eaved roof into a wide eaved roof. Narrow eaves seem to be the style here, so gutters it is...

I don't have gutters on my house. I live about a block from the Atlantic and my home exterior consists of those old glass/asbestos tiles. My main gripe when we get a hard rain is that the water will dirty my window sills and window panes. They have to constantly be kept clean. I don't have any water issues whatsoever otherwise. I just cant stand the fact that my windows get filthy after a hard rain. That is the only reason why i want gutters when i get rid of those old tiles, hopefully in the near future.

I bought my home from my aunt and she never had gutters on the home and always had a damp wet basement. First thing I did was install gutters and we have not had a problem since the house has an over hand all around about 2 feet but the amount of water pouring in to the ground definitely made its way inside.

ILiving on the edge of a wetland, I appreciate having gutters to direct rainwater down the paved driveway and out to the street. And in the back of the house, I have a rain barrel for garden watering, so it's another good use for a gutter. Next year I'm adding another barrel - why pay for water when you get it for free all summer? :D