Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Will

FYI - Pretty good price on the TFO 12X12 4 pc. ...

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Just picked up a new, TFO TiCr 12', 12wt., 4pc.,case included, at (link removed - Alan) for $149.50. Shipping to TX there is no sales tax, and orders >$150 get free shipping. So, if you add a small item, say a zinger or a forceps, it gets pretty cheap. Seemed like a lot of rod for $150. Going to use it off the S. Texas jetties and surf.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will View Post

Bull reds, jacks, trout, skipjacks and the very occasional tarpon.

yea a 12wt would be perfect for tarpon.

i have this rod (12wt ticr) its a NICE rod, i use it to go for stripers from a jetty...if you are working off a jetty and bring a 9wt or 10wt and you set the hook anything over 15lb ....you are going to feel like the fish is completely in control. dont let any one tell you otherwise just means they havnt stood on a jetty holding a 9wt with a hook set in a fish.

i also got my 12wt for 150.00 i have it lined with 12wt rio outbound. 

yea a 12wt would be perfect for tarpon.

i have this rod (12wt ticr) its a NICE rod, i use it to go for stripers from a jetty...if you are working off a jetty and bring a 9wt or 10wt and you set the hook anything over 15lb ....you are going to feel like the fish is completely in control. dont let any one tell you otherwise just means they havnt stood on a jetty holding a 9wt with a hook set in a fish.

i also got my 12wt for 150.00 i have it lined with 12wt rio outbound. 

Seriously? Com on, I've caught a 38lb bass on a 10 wt off Ibsp jetty. Also many bass more than 15 lbs. If you know how to fight a fish using the but section a 10 wt is all you need. Even on a jetty. I also landed 20lb tarpon on a jetty in southwest flordia. Many Snook and even one that was 19lbs. Those fish on a 9 wt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnicosia View Post

Seriously? Com on, I've caught a 38lb bass on a 10 wt off Ibsp jetty. Also many bass more than 15 lbs. If you know how to fight a fish using the but section a 10 wt is all you need. Even on a jetty. I also landed 20lb tarpon on a jetty in southwest flordia. Many Snook and even one that was 19lbs. Those fish on a 9 wt.

so why not go for a real challenge and give it a whack with a 5wt. i first attempt was with a 8wt and and i am trying to walk back down the jetty, sideways watching my footing, trying to get to a landing spot with this fish bucking in the water...

iii ddonttt know sure wish i had a 12wt

FYI continued - Got it in yesterday - WOW, this is a LOT of rod. Nicely finished and in a big fat rod tube. I tested it with conventional WF-F tarpon line with a fat banger type test fly. Shooting lines haven't come in yet (Rio Outbound). Didn't stretch or treat the line with anything and have never done the two handed fly casting thing before. Even given that, I was routinely able to lay it out there 90'+. Feeling pretty good about it since my intention is to cast some pretty big flies and keep them in the water as long as possible with some nice long casts.

so why not go for a real challenge and give it a whack with a 5wt. i first attempt was with a 8wt and and i am trying to walk back down the jetty, sideways watching my footing, trying to get to a landing spot with this fish bucking in the water...

iii ddonttt know sure wish i had a 12wt

5wt. Is pushing it! No really 12 on the jetty is a little overkill but, gives you extra power like you said when trying to land fish. I wonder if the sage peacock rod with shorter rod lenth could help too muscle fish into position.

FYI continued - Got it in yesterday - WOW, this is a LOT of rod. Nicely finished and in a big fat rod tube. I tested it with conventional WF-F tarpon line with a fat banger type test fly. Shooting lines haven't come in yet (Rio Outbound). Didn't stretch or treat the line with anything and have never done the two handed fly casting thing before. Even given that, I was routinely able to lay it out there 90'+. Feeling pretty good about it since my intention is to cast some pretty big flies and keep them in the water as long as possible with some nice long casts.

Awesome! I got my sage z-axis 8wt. Two hander. Its 12"9 and its a canon. I tried it with Rio outbound 12wt floater and it loaded perfectly. I was able to two hand cast the entire line with one back cast. 100 ft.

I am going to try my airflow 2 handed beach line this weekend. Its a 11/12 wt beachline. 150 feet! Perfect