Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oldgoat

Fruitcake point and wingnut harbor

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Seams the board of selectmen are going to install three canons to scare sea ducks away from the mussel and clam beds in Chatham harbor. They have to ask permission from the Chatham Bars Inn first and also the Seashore park as they don't want to scare the plovers.

I guess federal migratory laws don't count in Chatham. ( Harassing wildlife)

On a positive note this might cause the thousands of seals eating bass to miscarriage.

Yes, the ever deadly sea duck, get them clam eatin varmints.

MA has lost it's ever lovin' mind.

But keep all them seals around, making lots of sense here.

When will the CORRECTION come. Nature is funny that way, not like a clown.

...... They have to ask permission from the Chatham Bars Inn ......

Why?.........because it might move the china place settings in the dining room.........or cause a ripple in the water level in the crystal drinking goblets........or cause the kitchens souffle to collapse........or cause a residents Beltone hearing aid to malfunction.......tell me why!!!

when i was shellfishing in bourne they came up with the idea to scare off the canadian geese that were taking up residence in squeteague harbor. they used noise makers that sounded like bottlerockets. scared the ever living crap outta me, that's for sure. it did drive the birds out, but just pushed the problem somewhere else...

Sea ducks such as eiders are devestating to aquaculture guys raising both hard and soft shell clams and mussels. They eat everything in sight, including and esp seed.

Sea ducks such as eiders are devestating to aquaculture guys raising both hard and soft shell clams and mussels. They eat everything in sight, including and esp seed.

the eiders have decimated the mussel population down on the mud flats, that place was loaded with mussels when I was younger,

when i was shellfishing in bourne they came up with the idea to scare off the canadian geese that were taking up residence in squeteague harbor. they used noise makers that sounded like bottlerockets. scared the ever living crap outta me, that's for sure. it did drive the birds out, but just pushed the problem somewhere else...

They never did drive the geese out of sqeuteague........they just educated the geese to the times of there efforts...............

Eider are ever worse than geese!:shock: In the winter, there's an endless supply of them. They come in waves. Often a flock will wait for a feeding flock to leave, and as soon as they do, the new, hungry flock will move right it.

They'll shoot the cannons off, scare some off, and fresh birds will move right in.

isn't there a sea duck hunt? if they are that concerned, why don't they encourage people to go shoot them and bring them back to the table...??

Brad,

That's part of the problem. Almost nobody hunts anymore. That's one of the reasons deer and wild turkey numbers are exploding.

Plus, eider are probably the most vile game bird there is. :upck: My grandmother lived off everything I shot or caught. The only bird she ever told me never to bring her again, were eiders. She said they were the pits.

the eiders have decimated the mussel population down on the mud flats, that place was loaded with mussels when I was younger,

The eiders were there long before you were 'younger.' They've been coming to the Cape since the end of the last Ice Age. Somehow, the mussls and the eiders got along together for all those thousands of years. I suspect there are bigger problems for the mussels than the eider.

The eiders were there long before you were 'younger.' They've been coming to the Cape since the end of the last Ice Age. Somehow, the mussls and the eiders got along together for all those thousands of years. I suspect there are bigger problems for the mussels than the eider.

All the starfish have done a number on the mussel population and anytime shellfish get thick in numbers disease can always be a problem............