Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bob_G

The right tool for the job

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Butt-head once said "You need the right tool for the job Beavis". Those are words to live by, even today. ;)

Bought this yesterday, and could not be happier. Opens quahogs at a rate of 4 per minute.

I've shucked some oysters, not a ton.  I've always had that feeling in the back of my mind-"you do this long enough and you will lay the ball of your hand WIDE open".

Taa Daaa.

I've had an opportunity to use that contraption before. It's awesome. But, a Dexter-Russell scallop knife opens quahogs almost as easily. :D

I've had an opportunity to use that contraption before. It's awesome. But, a Dexter-Russell scallop knife opens quahogs almost as easily. :D

Perhaps the first dozen or so. But not when you want to sit down, and open an entire peck (~150). I whipped through them like Sherman went through Georgia.:beatin:

Cool. I guess you have to catch the juice somehow.

I opened a hundred oysters Thursday-Friday. The Morty the Knife Man oyster knife is the only one for me. And a kitchen towel! :th:

Cool. I guess you have to catch the juice somehow.

I opened a hundred oysters Thursday-Friday. The Morty the Knife Man oyster knife is the only one for me. And a kitchen towel! :th:

I don' think this will work for oysters.

But as far as catching the juice, note the slot on the back side of the wooden base. That's so you can place it on a bowl, and the juice will fall right through a small round hole below the quahog, and directly into the bowl.

I've shucked some oysters, not a ton.  I've always had that feeling in the back of my mind-"you do this long enough and you will lay the ball of your hand WIDE open".

Taa Daaa.

For the ones that are a bit tough to open with an oyster knife...............

Works wonders.....:th:

Butt-head once said "You need the right tool for the job Beavis". Those are words to live by, even today. ;)

Bought this yesterday, and could not be happier. Opens quahogs at a rate of 4 per minute.

Had one of those year's ago. They were really popular around here in the 70's, 80's. I am surprised you can only open 4 per min. I still use a knife to shuck the "stones". The "guillotine" is great for sea clams for "chowda". Those thing's are a PIA to open even after being placed in a freezer for a 1/2 hour