Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
platformtender

Jacksonville, Florida....Help?

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Hope I'm posting this in the right area. I am going to be attending school in Jacksonville next spring and have the oppertunity to spend 5 months on campus which is located about 10 miles from the the coast. I've never done any saltwater fishing, but I'm excited to give it a try. Depending on my enrollment date I should be there between March and April. Obviously I'll be fishing from shore or piers and I've already got a 10ft casting rod. Nothing fancy about the rod, but I'm only going to be around for 5 months anyway. I want some advice on picking out a reel, again I don't want anything too fancy because it won't be used much past my stay in FL. I know I need to clean my gear, but I wasn't sure if that is just limited to only the reel or all other gear as well. Just how thorough should the cleaning be? Do I need to completely disassemble the reel or just flush it with water? Also if I'm going to be taking a reel apart after every outing it should probably be a simple assembly and nothing too time consuming. Just looking for reel suggestions here. I also have no idea what I'd be fishing for, I have zero experience with salt water species. A quick overview of the game fish I could expect to catch would be appreciated. Also, I've always preferred fishing natural baits as opposed to artificials. Bait suggestions and species to which to target with each are among other things I need help with. Any techniques, name of beaches, or other valuable info would also be greatly appreciated. I know this is a lot to ask, but for me it's like going to a new country and not knowing the language. Thanks in advance guys.....