Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
captkenroy

Fly fishing Tip # 33.

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Fly Fishing Tip # 33

No More Cement in the Eye

While in a fly shop recently, I picked up a few flies and noticed some hook eyes clogged with cement. This has always been a “Pet-peeve” of mine because there is no need to get cement in the eyes of flies to start with.

Here is an easy way to prevent cement clogged eyes. Tie an Over Hand Knot in the end of a piece of 30# mono then clip the line about an inch below the knot. (I have about a dozen of these on the top of my fly tying box.) Before cementing or painting the fly head, insert the knotted mono into the hook eye. Cement the fly head. Allow to dry then pull the mono out. This leaves a nice, clean eye.

I never tie on hooks smaller than #8 and 30# mono works fine in them and on up to flies on most of the 2/0 hooks I use. I’ve used 80 # on some hooks.

If I may add my tidbit on this also - I almost always tie with feathers of some sort and inevitably end up with a few 'snipped' feather shafts of various diameters and lengths. I usually will run these through the hook eye a few times to clear it out. Sometimes, if there's a dash of feather stuffs on the shaft-the better, I find it helps to collect some of the glue. The trade-off, if you wait until the glue gets really tacky, the feather stuffs may be left behind in the hook eye with the drying glue.

I use Sax's method, it's pretty foolproof, the fluffy part of the feather will absorb just about anything that's still soft. I think I learned it at a Lefty seminar a long long time ago.

JC

If I may add my tidbit on this also - I almost always tie with feathers of some sort and inevitably end up with a few 'snipped' feather shafts of various diameters and lengths. I usually will run these through the hook eye a few times to clear it out. Sometimes, if there's a dash of feather stuffs on the shaft-the better, I find it helps to collect some of the glue. The trade-off, if you wait until the glue gets really tacky, the feather stuffs may be left behind in the hook eye with the drying glue.

I do the same thing. Glue the head, then immediately run a feather through. I save the feather until it's to gunky, then use another. Works great.