Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
albacized

Another Riches to Rags story....

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Back in the mid 80's, Sly Stone sold the rights to his music catalog to Michael Jackson for one million dollars...today, Sly is homeless and lives out of a beat up van in a bad section of Los Angeles...Guess when he 'had it', he decided to flaunt it and take it for granted - and now it's gone. He's so cooked on drugs, the news report I was watching actually had to use subtitles to help the viewer understand what he was saying...WOW:-(

Sly was a great entertainer and from my hometown of Oakland,Ca. I am actually sad to hear that he had failed. I guess he doesn't get royalties from the replaying of his songs because down here they play them quite often!

Some great songs from them. Everyday people being one of the most popular. Had some political stuff there also. There is a song called... Don't call me Nig##r whitey. Sad to see he wound up this way, was it like what happened to MC Hammer who was too generous with his money?

Some great songs from them. Everyday people being one of the most popular. Had some political stuff there also. There is a song called... Don't call me Nig##r whitey. Sad to see he wound up this way, was it like what happened to MC Hammer who was too generous with his money?

The way the story was presented last night (I think it was on a CBS News Magazine show - I caught the tail end of it while channel surfing after the Cowboys/Dolphins game ended) was the he simply blew it...he couldn't control his impulses to flaunt his wealth, both in terms of materialistic possessions and life style, including heavy drugs, etc

Hardcore drug use...

I grew up on Sly..."There's a Riot Goin' On" is a tremendous album, especially - the death knell to the Woodstock scene. The party's over on that one...Sly recorded it pretty much on his own, in the middle of a major binge...paranoia and dissipation fuel every minute of it. Great ****.

Sad story...hope he makes it back...nobody is ever hopeless.

I think 1 mil for this song catalog sounds awfully skimpy for what it is - but then again, I think it flew under the radar at the time because it was around the same time frame as when Michael Jackson aquired the Beatles catalog...and of course that garnered such a massive amount of media coverage, anything else probably was invisible in comparison

Alice Cooper was filthy rich about the time Billion Dollar Babies came out

He blew most of it & now is a Radio DJ and sober

staying sober from booze must be easier than kicking H for good IMHO