Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaveC

Shimano Stella problem

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I have an SW5000 (Japanese model) that has performed flawlessly for 10 plus years. The other night I noticed that when the rotor was in the lowest position (at the bottom of the retrieve) that the reel sticks. So, it flows with little effort and when the spool is at its lowest, the rotor stops spinning. You can make it turn again with little effort but it sticks. This happens with the spool completely off the reel so it seems to be mechanical inside the reel. The main shaft is not bent, I can assure you. Does anyone know what this might be?

This is a worn out oscillation mechanism. The worm gear or its little pawl most likely need replacement. It's identical inside to American marketed Stella FA. HTH

I immediately thought what he ^ said............

Thanks, Alan.

You're welcome my friend. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

SW 5000 ten years old? You mean FA 5000 :)

Actually this is one of the most confusing things: The salltwater Stellas are always named "Stella SW" in Japan, and the freshwater ones are simply "Stella". When those reels are sold overseas though they have a prefix associated with them. The 1998 Stella SW is called Stella F overseas, the 2001 Stella SW is called Stella FA, and the 2008 Stella SW just happened to be called SW abroad too. Similarly 2001 Stella is called FW abroad, 2004 Stella is FB, 2007 Stella is FD, and 2010 Stella is FE :)

You wish you thought like Alan. :p

Let's hope he doesn't! I have been thinking a lot of stupid thoughts lately and I think my IQ has sunk to a single digit :bonk:

:p

Enjoy your turkeys and yams guys :beers:

You're welcome my friend. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Actually this is one of the most confusing things: The salltwater Stellas are always named "Stella SW" in Japan, and the freshwater ones are simply "Stella". When those reels are sold overseas though they have a prefix associated with them. The 1998 Stella SW is called Stella F overseas, the 2001 Stella SW is called Stella FA, and the 2008 Stella SW just happened to be called SW abroad too. Similarly 2001 Stella is called FW abroad, 2004 Stella is FB, 2007 Stella is FD, and 2010 Stella is FE :)

I just looked at a picture of me holding a weakfish with this reel in my hand and it is 2001, like I thought. Thanks again, Alan.

I have an SW5000 (Japanese model) that has performed flawlessly for 10 plus years. The other night I noticed that when the rotor was in the lowest position (at the bottom of the retrieve) that the reel sticks. So, it flows with little effort and when the spool is at its lowest, the rotor stops spinning. You can make it turn again with little effort but it sticks. This happens with the spool completely off the reel so it seems to be mechanical inside the reel. The main shaft is not bent, I can assure you. Does anyone know what this might be?

I'll be happy that this is the only thing that happened in 10 years!!! Love my Stella's :)