Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Reel Torque

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

This is sort of a postscript addition to the "New Reel" thread, which I didn't want to drift.

Some time ago, I offered an opinion in a thread that the 525Mag I use for most plugging offered more torque than any spinner I'd met. Ditch Jigger replied that his Saltiga would turn the 525 inside out in a torque contest. I defer to his expertise; he knows a lot more than I do, and I've never handled one of the $600+ spinning reels, much less fished with it.

All that being said, it would be very interesting to compare the torque of a top - end surf spinning reel (VS 250 and up; Saltiga; Stella; ZB; Torque 5) against that of the best-made surf conventionals (Saltiga Surf 30; the Saltist equivalent, at half the price; the midsized Avet; Penn Torque conventional in surf-rod sizes; Shimano equivalent, in particular the 700TE). Drag ratings are dubious enough, not to be taken too seriously. I don't know how you could meaningfully compare torque. And since you might very well want to fish bait for sharks, rays, and perhaps large jacks and tarpon down south with an Avet or other two-speed reel, the comparison would get really complicated.

Now .... most of us aren't going to be able to fish the next couple of days, but we can certainly find the time to BS a bit. Let the fun begin.

I thought I'd drag this over to the Main Forum in hopes of generating some entertaining talk. This was going nowhere on Distance Casting, no responses ... perhaps as much as it deserves. :D But I'll give it a chance to float around here.

Dawia Dogfight 66 lbs of drag.Big 27 zee 40 lbs.Big boy stella or accurate twin spin are up there as well.Now some of the lil roid reels like the alutecnos gorilla 12,,accurate twin drag extreme boss, power spell jigging master, pro gear albie 280 282 special etc. have come a long way in the torque,drag dept. but i think you need to go to a small tuna style reel to stay with these modern spinners if just pure smooth drag torque is the apples to apples Brian.My 2 pennies :D Cheers alan

I have had a play with a mate's Saltiga 4500 and 6500 and their drag pressure is huge. However I would be upgrading the drag washers to Carbontex (my mate did this) which are definitely smoother than the original washers.

I reckon pulling drag off an overhead reel is smoother though.. the line doesn't have to go through a bail arm or get pulled off the spool at funny angles.

Just my 2c worth... :)

The mechanical physics are definitely better for a revolving spool reel; on a fixed spool the line goes through that rotating right angle turn, and the shaft on the spool can only be supported at one end. That, and the availability of a changing gear ratio on some lever-drags, makes comparing torque - not available drag, but torque when retrieving line - difficult to do. I'm not an engineer, and I'm sure it can be done, but don't know how.

Yeah the math would probably be tough.

Some of the high end spinners are available in either high speed or high torque models too, so you would really have to pick a specific reels to do a comparison.

Take both reels and remove the handles lock down the drags.Figure out a way to adapt the handle input shaft to take any standard size socket, maybe a lefthanded bolt in the case of.. the spinning reel, and a modified socket for the conventional.Attach the reels to rods of similar power and clamp the rods horizontal to a workbench with the reels overhanging the edge of the bench.Assuming we are going to use full spools of line on both reels,keeping things as equal as possible.Thread the line through the first rod guide and attach to equal weights on the floor.You see where I'm going with this? take a good quality torque wrench and you are ready to start documenting results.,as to how many ft/lbs it takes to lift equal weights off the floor,or how many lbs can be lifted on each reel with the same torque setting before it slips. Results for either will tell you which reel has the most torque. You may have to recalculate the numbers if the reel handles are of different lengths as the leverage would be different when the reel is in actual use.

I just wonder how much torque can be realistically expected in a fishing reel before a human being just gets dragged in the water

I have heard that anything approaching 40 will be too much for any man to handle for any length of time, and that figure is considered high and it's more like 30, (talking about standup not chair)

This is fun to toy around with but does it really matter to most guys. If it does by all means continue, but quality reels out there can handle the drag that's needed to land big fish whether it be spinner or conventional.

The fish out there are not taking steroids and i doubt their on a rigorous workout regimen. If anything i would bet that the fish from years past were not only more numerous, but also bigger.

I saw this thread and had to look twice !

Spinning reels do not apply arbor torque . Rather the the rotor revolves and drags the line around a fixed spool. one the high end

spinners everything possible is done to eliminate drag while the line is wrapped around the spool. But even the best spinner cannot

match a revolving spool reel reels ability to apply revolving torqe directly to pull the line. Even high end reels will exserience gear

failure if you try to use the reels to torque the line around the spool. I have seem many failures of spinners being put through extreme

pressure and the gera train failing . They simply are not designed for this and more towards fast line retrieve , The newest spinners

have emense drag ability and can apply huge pressure to the rod and fish and then retrieve line very quickly when unloaded .

Simply put if you want to winch your quary in , I suggest to stick with revolving spool reels. You really want to pull I suggest a two speed

for they are truely winches in that respect . If you have ever never seen a big fish being winched in low gear you are in for a treat .

Hope you find what you are looking for ......

Pulling drag is not the same a winding (cranking) power or torque.

A reel might have 68lb of drag, but you will not convince me that with a fulcrum of 2inches or so (reel handle) that one could wind line in at 68lb of force applied.