Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GoBow

BBQ Turkey

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

We've barbequed turkeys for the last 28 yrs or so. Figured I'd show you all how we do it. And in as close to real time as I can edit the pics. Hope to eat about 1pm... Now this ain't rocket science. Can't predict to the minute when it'll be done. Had some birds done in 1 1/2 hrs, some in 2 1/2 hrs or so. Smaller birds are better for grillin'...

Weber grill with charcoal on the sides, indirect cooking here.

[img=.

Got the grill in place.

p><p>  Bird all washed and cleaned. Rubbed down with salt, pepper, poultry seasonings. I like to "break" the wing tips behind the turkey

Form a bed with aluminum foil to help protect the back from burning and sticking.

Lay the bird right onto the foil, pull back any foil that extends too far beyond the body parts. Ya want that charcoal heat to get as close as possible. Cover the bird with the grill lid.

Check on the bird in 45 minutes or so to add charcoal. More to follow...

Okay, we're about 1 hr in, need to add more charcoal.

Charcoal added right onto the old layer.

[img=

Secret sauce... Oil, salt, pepper, and poultry seasonings. If I'm making the sauce, I've been known to add a touch of Old Bay and ground red pepper...

p><p>  First basting. From here on out I

Thanks all, it was as good as it looks. My favorite part of the turkey is the crispy skin, the wings, then a bit of the dark meat. The indirect heat of the Weber grill browns the bird up very nicely and doesn't dry out the meat at all. I will forewarn ya though, for some reason the breast meat always seems to have a pinkish cast when you slice into it. I think it's from the smoke from the grill. It won't be pink near the bone which would indicate that it's still uncooked. Rather the meat has a soft overall pink "glow" to it. Makes for the best turkey noodle soup later on this week...

Betcha my ole pal Kutch could work wonders with a bird in his Big Green Egg. Maybe we'll have us a cook off one of these days. Hot dang, another throw down... :)