Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Esau

Anyone still use mono for striper surf plugging?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I'm asking because I noticed that the line roller on my recently acquired Penn 704Z does not turn when I pull line across it. I called the Penn tech, and he said it won't turn like the rollers on newer reel models. He said if I can turn it with my finger (I can) it is working as designed. Since braid has a rougher texture than mono, I'm thinking of using mono on the 704Z, probably 17#, because I'm afraid the rough braid will cut into the roller. I just started surf plugging in 2001, and I never used anything but braid for that, although I've used mono for decades in fresh water.

I do. Tried braid and just don't like it. I have used mono for many, many years with no problems . Braid, however, was a problem around rocks and mysterious break offs? Mono is not as sensitive and that's what you will have trouble with at first but after using it for a while I think you will like it. Btw, I use 20 lb. mono by Berkley ( Big Game) or Ande Back Country with a 50 or 60 pound flouro or mono leader for plugging or live eeling.

I collect 704z's and use them almost exclusively and only use Berkley Fireline original 20 or 30 lbs. test. This line was designed for the 704z it seems, a little pricey but well worth it. I can get 100 yard casts with little effort and the line holds up very well.

I'm asking because I noticed that the line roller on my recently acquired Penn 704Z does not turn when I pull line across it. I called the Penn tech, and he said it won't turn like the rollers on newer reel models. He said if I can turn it with my finger (I can) it is working as designed. Since braid has a rougher texture than mono, I'm thinking of using mono on the 704Z, probably 17#, because I'm afraid the rough braid will cut into the roller. I just started surf plugging in 2001, and I never used anything but braid for that, although I've used mono for decades in fresh water.

I have a 704 that I've used with mono that the roller spins quite freely by hand but refuses to reliably spin from contact of line when reeling (tried all new parts/roller kit too.) Haven't figured it out yet. :(

I think you'll find the elasticity of mono will lend itself to the action of your topwaters (poppers/spooks/pencils) and the like.

I do. Tried braid and just don't like it. I have used mono for many, many years with no problems . Braid, however, was a problem around rocks and mysterious break offs? Mono is not as sensitive and that's what you will have trouble with at first but after using it for a while I think you will like it. Btw, I use 20 lb. mono by Berkley ( Big Game) or Ande Back Country with a 50 or 60 pound flouro or mono leader for plugging or live eeling.

I have been using braid/superlines since spiderwire first hit the market for freshwater bassmen and still go back and forth depending on the app. and The only one I have ever used that was virtually trouble free is original Fireline. I like the 20 and 14lb for the salt. and freshwater bassing, and during the ice fishing season I use 4 to 8lb exclusively and its perfect. Not the prettiest of superlines thats for sure, but the performance on the reel whether spinning or baitcasting is great. I almost never get windknots with it, it doesnt dig into the spool like some, the color fades but I just freshen up a few yards with a sharpie if I feel like it. I like the smoke color it works well. I even use it for spinnerbait and carolina rig fishing for black bass, but still use mono for fishing lots of other apps because its forgiving. I felt I was dropping too many fish on my topwaters and other plugs because of the no stretch and the leverage of the fish, but I do think a softer parabolic rod solves that problem pretty good though, but I dont think I'll ever stop using mono completely......but who knows what they will invent next right. Sometimes I just dont want to use a ball bearing swivel and I hate tying braid to mono....maybe they'll come up with a braid with a little stretch.;)

I still have a couple penns with mono for certain applications and for lending out to the kids. For my plugging I use Fireline, it works great on those reels but if you go mono go with big dame or a co=polymer like like P-line CXX- alot less stretch that the older type monos.

I still keep a couple /few reels loaded with mono and have no issues breaking them out, Silver Thread 14# and 17# are my favorites. Braid is the way to go, however its not cheap and you have to pay attention closer or you will get knots. I've never believed much in the knots being caused by wind, its more user error after casting, so after each cast, I manually close the bail, then peel off a foot or so of braid from the front of the spool and then begin my retrieve. Most braid issues arise somewhere between closing the bail and beginning the retrieve, if you close the bail manually and peel off some line, you'll reduce your braid issues by a great margin.

As for mono, why not, if the fish are small and distance is not important, its easier on your equipment (rod and reel) and your wallet.

I still use 14# Stren original mono from the jetty. Mono is old school, works great, easy to tie, easy to untangle, doesn't cut your fingers as easy, much less wind knots, etc etc. Probably most important is that if you are fishing with a few buddies and have a tangle, mono un-tangles relatively easily and you keep fishing. Tangle with braid and get out the cutters. When it comes to tangles, live by braid, die by braid. On the upside, braid has as many advantages as mono given the application. Both definately have their place, no doubt....

Mono guy here...I use mono on my light lami set up coupled with a penn 260 slammer with 10lb test and with my 9 foot fenwick glass rod coupled with a 360 slammer 15lb test. Evans on the bait rod (another old school lami built in 1974) I goose up the mono to 25lbs.

both rods are old school honey blanks (built by father 1976 and 1983 respectfully) with wire guides so I am hesitant to go braid. I figure the old guides would not hold up well.

The glass rods might be slightly heavier than new composite, but they load and cast oh so easily.

I asked my father why he chose honey and his answer was that way his other fishing buddies could find him easier when looking down the beach...go figure.

I have never tried braid and don;t really think I am missing out. although it does make a cool sound when the fish pulling line.

Thanks