Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
R.R. Bridge Fisher

do deer eat hay?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

The town did some work and put bails of hay down. I threw them in the woods and deer have been milling around the back near the hay. Are they eating it or attracted to it? just curious,

I am goung out there now to check for pic's if anything good I will uppdate.

RR

Deer eat hay. During the winter, out West, ranchers oft times throw bales of hay out to starving Elk herds. Obviously, deer prefer fresh fodder, but will eat dry fodder in a pinch. So would you, if hungry enough.

I thought Bambi was a doe.

I'll have to rename my pet does.

Maybe Barbara or Darlene or ...

Nope, he had antlers and was the patriarch at the end of the movie. Anti-hunting film, though, imo. My favorite part was when bambi's mom became dinner. ;)

Deer love it!! Especially alfalfa fields...Deer that eat that and corn are the best tasting!

2 years ago we had alfalfa planted in the 6 acres about 100 yards from my house. I would see them there every single evening munching away. They pretty much ignore the hay bales which are everywhere.

In that setting, I'd be strongly tempted to set up a rest for a scoped rifle in the attic. Doubtless illegal if your house is separated from those six acres by a road, though.