Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MegaLodon_Hunter

mysterious 40lb mono break offs

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

anybody ever have a real good, long tug then you set the hook to have your leader break? this happens when im fluke fishing and the cut or break is right after the swivel. after the knot . the 40 lb leader breaks before the 10 lb mono does!!! the leader is not leader material however. i bought the 1/4 spool and have been using it for years now. maybe age has deteriorated the line or maybe a bluefish went after the tiny swivel. what do you guys think?

Assuming its not breaking around the knot, it sounds like your line has gone bad or is defective. I have had line off the shelf do this to me. Some retailers just don't know how to store it. Also it's best to buy smaller quantities, so you are using fresh material.

For this very reason, I switched to fluorocarbon ( Seaguar Red Label Leader or P-line) a few years back. 30 lb for sandy/mud, and 50lb around rocks or on a party boat. The stuff ain't cheap, yet I have yet to have a leader break...

Take a cotton ball and rub it on the inside of your guides...if the cotton snags on it, you have an issue with that guide. And if that is indeed the case, it's a cheap fix...of course cheaper if you can do it your self...but I just had a guide replaced on a rod and it ran me about $10 through a shop down near Cape Cod (I actually can do my own - and in fact, I built the rod I had repaired, but have a busy schedule with work and school - and the price was good:-))

But anyway, this kind of issue can kill your line quickly...braided line or mono

If it is breaking at the knot near the swivel and you are using mono, I doubt its the guides. You probably are setting the knot without lubrication or too quickly and tightly. You can reduce line strength by 2/3 by building up friction when tying a knot. Do you slober all over your knots?

If it is breaking at the knot near the swivel and you are using mono, I doubt its the guides. You probably are setting the knot without lubrication or too quickly and tightly. You can reduce line strength by 2/3 by building up friction when tying a knot. Do you slober all over your knots?

You're probably right about the guides - I didn't catch the 'right after the swivel' part...LOL

I'd go with the badly-set-knot theory. All knots that I know are best set with a wet line; most knots benefit from a relatively slow set. If you're getting the break right behind the knot, I suspect a dry line and a hard yank to set the knot, with line that was initially within the knot being damaged and with the damaged point just behind the knot once it's fully set.

I had it happen on all of my salt water lines except dacron and nylon lines down here about three years after I moved from California. What I found out is that the heat effects mono and turns it brittle ;)

no i dont lick the line before i tie the knot...hmm maybe thats why. never had my 80 lb flouro break when i catch stripers though. strange

Assuming its not breaking around the knot, it sounds like your line has gone bad or is defective. I have had line off the shelf do this to me. Some retailers just don't know how to store it. Also it's best to buy smaller quantities, so you are using fresh material.

For this very reason, I switched to fluorocarbon ( Seaguar Red Label Leader or P-line) a few years back. 30 lb for sandy/mud, and 50lb around rocks or on a party boat. The stuff ain't cheap, yet I have yet to have a leader break...

yea im gonna toss this one and buy real leader spools in smaller quantity. thanks

Test your knots before fishing. Tie your rig up, then tie the line to a pole or fence or somoehtng that is stationary. Pulluntil teh line breaks and see where it pops. If it' sth 1/4# spool that you've been using for years, and it was fine before the way you were tying knots - them you probably didn't store it porpelry

where are you Fluke fishing now?

I keep all my lines/leaders in a 8Gal Rubbermaid ActionPacker, and usually toss them after a few years.

I have a tackle store in the area that goes thru a lot of line, so I have them fill a lot of my reels. It is often cheaper, and I know they will replace it if there's a problem.

Its probably not breaking because you are starting with 80-lbs. If the knot heats with thin mono there is way more damage that could take 40 lbs down to almost unusable. Whereas the thicker 80-lb retains more strength due to it simply being thicker and the same amount of damage wont degrade it to the point it just breaks off. But if you get a trophy bass or 18-lb blue I bet it would snap in a heartbeat.